Barry Hoban/ Fred James?

stedlocks

Senior Retro Guru
Feedback
View
Has anyone got any idea on this collaboration?

Ive just bagged one on gaybay and I pick it up tomorrow :LOL:

I got it so that I could keep my Hetchins nice during the undoubtably crap winter we are going to have!

this is it.....the groupset has to be worth the price, i reckon......

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll? ... 2759.l1259

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
As far as I know, the 'standard' Barry Hoban bikes were built by British Eagle in Newtown, Mid Wales. Barry used to work for them after he retired as a professional on the continent. If there were any 'special' ones built I'm not sure where they would have come from (but Barry himself used to ride Woodrups a lot). How does the seller know that it is a 'Barry Hoban' if it has 'Fred James' transfers on it?

I'm not sure to be honest, but he seems very genuine and has had the bike from new......I can't see how it was £2000 tho.....

At the very least I'll have a Full Chorus groupset for £155.

Nice one

Regardless of tie in, I think its a nice looking machine and well worth the money.
If you find any more info on the tie in with Barry Hoban then please update. look forward to more pics and info once it arrives.

I can offer my services to look after the Hetchins for you over the winter, I can clean and polish it and take it for the odd ride just to keep it all moving. I know, i know, theres no need to thank me, its just the kind of guy I am ;)

jamie

Thanks Jamie, you are all heart!!! :0)

That's what I was thinking to be honest.... A nice looking steel bike with a good gruppo for £150...... I'll pump the seller for all the info when I get there..... Oh, and its got tubs!! That's anew one for me......

Quick update..........

Ive picked it up and it is exactly what it seems to be........The guy bought it from Fred James in 1989 as a frame and fork......They told him it was a refinished Barry Hoban.....Thrn he bought a full Chorus groupset and built it up.
It has a Reynolds Refinished sticker on the downtube and the lugs lined with gold......Its quite nice, but has a fair bit of surface rust caused by the chap's sweat from his turbo trainer, I reckon.
The bike has done Alpes d'huez with him, and also Etape!!

He has put thousands of miles on it and has now moved to Jamaica.....there is no need for the chap to lie about any of this........I have seen the house that he is selling ;)

The groupset is spot on and complete......down to the hubs and seatpin.

I think I will ride it like this over winter, then a strip down and resto on the frame over the summer when I can ride my Hetchins!

I'll put a couple of Pictures in the road bike section in a bit........

2nu6tfq.jpg

Back