Help needed - Raleigh Clubman or not?

Ratsey

Retro Newbie
I'm new to this forum, so hello. I hope someone can offer me some advice.

I'm looking to get back into cycling more seriously after a long time out of the saddle and for the usual reasons – get fit, get out, etc! I have an old Motocabane Supergalaxy which I got second hand long ago and which was always far too big (25" frame) – I'm only 5"8' with a 29" inside leg. My girlfriend has a Raleigh Clubman (Reynolds 531, Campo version) which is a good fit and she has said I can have but I don't know if it is worth refurbing this or buying a new bike?

I have spent some time looking at both ebay and 'new' options but can't see anything I really like, at the price I want to spend (About £300). I know the Clubman is a good all round bike but it does need some work (it is after all 30 years old) and I just wondered if anyone had a view on whether I would be better to clean that up and maybe add a nice Brooks saddle and maybe even some clipless peddles, etc or whether I would be better to fine something else?

I'm not looking for anything fancy, just a good road bike to get me back into it again. If I did restore the Clubman is there any of the standard parts that I should look to upgrade?

Any help would be appreciated on either the restoration or on possible models to look for new (I can stretch the budget if needed but I didn't want to spend too much until I got back into it), it's a long time since I contemplated buying a bike and it does seem that the starting price has risen somewhat and I really can't decide if buying new or even ebay is the way to go or if I am better off restoring this old classic?!

Thanks again for any help/advice. I assume as this is a forum for retro bikes then most people would suggest restoring the clubman but I'm interested in your views.

No prolem I'll sort some out. There isn't much wrong with the Clubman but it will need a decrease/clean etc and a bit of TLC, new cables, that kind a thing. It's in reasonable condition for age.

Back