Newbie- what I should do with my old Dave Quinn???

JediPaddler

Retro Guru
Feedback
View
I have an old Dave Quinn road bike. I bought it second hand in the mid nineties as a winter hack. At the time I also had a new Dave Quinn.

It still rides OK but it does look tatty.

I'm gussing it dates from the late eighties or early ninties given the 'tasteful' shell :shock: suit colour scheme.

The next question is what is a newbie to do?

The paint is tatty as are one or two of the components.

I fancy having it resprayed in a more retro looking colour and replacing / restoring the components. Topped with a brooks saddle...

What do you think? Am wasting money on a bike that is not worth the effort?

I think I've attached the photo correctly.

Let me have it.... so to speak.

Attachments

• birthday and bike 007.JPG
    birthday and bike 007.JPG
    88.2 KB · Views: 1,136
I'd ride it like that to be fair :0)

Some peeps on here like to restore, but personally, I like to see original " battle scars"..... Its what you feel comfortable with, I guess.....

Yes, strip it down and give the paintwork a light T-Cutting to get rid of the muck etc. It'll then have a shine and patina which will enhance it's age. It doesn't look that bad actually in the photo, I've seen a lot worse!

Why not fit some 'proper' drop bars?

BTW, those forks are a bit steep aren't they. Very short rake. I bet it's a 'lively' ride!

I think the photo makes it lokk better than it is. I think the yellow was orginally floruo and has faded. It has plenty of chips and scratches etc from its days as a winter bike.

Just fancy making it shiney again

Initially my reaction was 'for Gods sake respray it, its hideous', but after looking for a minute or two I reckon, strip it down, clean it up, T-Cut and polish up. Then sort the detailing out, nice new black Brooks saddle and black bar tape would tidy it up a lot, ditch the blue pedals.

Then again my bikes are a right mess so ignore anything I say.

Will :)

That doesn't look bad at all! Basically as willbowden said I'd keep the paint as is (but for a T-cut and polish - I've used Poorboy's Natty's Paste Wax as a finishing touch before now), have some black bar tape, black saddle and more neutral coloured pedals, but with black blackwall tyres too. Following my rough rule of loud frame/neutral bits or neutral frame/loud bits...

I think it was originally fitted with blue accessories (Mavic clipless pedals and San Marco Rolls saddle) as the grey paint has a blue fleck in it.

I think a strip and polish may be worth a try before I chuck money at it.

Fancy some On One Midge bars, although not proper retro they kind of stick with the theme. They are on offer too at the moment.

Ah, couldn't see the blue fleck, but that makes more sense now! Those bars look cheap enough to try too, but I must admit my eye was srawn down the page to those Nitto M104 alloy drops for GBP20...

Back