How much of a crime would it be...

As long as the groupset range matches the frame, go for it. It will more than likely work better.

I'm falling out of love with Crapnagolo at the moment.

pigman":1lzb84qh said:
sky are using dura ace on their dogmas

anywhere outside a cycling forum, that sentence would be just weird.

I'm falling out of love with Campagnolo and find myself going back to Shimano's old 600

On a modern bike, new Campag is just too fugly to contemplate using. And most Italian frames are made in the same taiwanese factories as their american competitors.

Regarding older bikes, I'm of the firm belief that any Colnago from mid-90s on should be fitted with Dura-Ace and DeRosas should never be fitted with anything other than Campag.

However I also firmly believe that all non-steel Pinarellos should be consigned to the dustbin - so I'm not sure my opinion is worth much around here.

i sort of agree with you guys and i am a campag fan.

i bought my new Condor road bike with veloce on it, knowing that i was gonna rip it all off and put my record groupset on. i had thought about getting the new record etc but i couldn't be bothered with the 11 speed compatibilty issues (all mine are 9 or 10 speed making interchangabilty easy) and i hate the carbon stuff as it's dull looking. bring back the polished alloy i say!! so much nicer to look at.

not a fan of the new dura ace either except for the cables being under the tape finally.

my favourite record is the 99 groupset i think, just a smattering of carbon on the rear mech and the brake levers and that's it. my favourite dura ace year is the earlier 8 speed stuff, 7400 i think?

Last nice Record groupset was the 98 one I have on my De Rosa.

It was also the last year Record had alloy brake levers, non-oversize alloy hubs and the only year they made it with the smaller-type ergos.

I don't like anything at the moment!
* Campag has carbon in places where I wouldn't want carbon. If I went with up-to-date kit I'd have to use an alternative manufacturer's chainset. I *almost* went for an ultra-torque Centaur chainset but then I saw one in real life and the chainrings looked cheap as chips, are they stamped now? And there's no chance of me buying into 11-speed; fussy to set up and I believe there's some sort of special tool to use to join the chain.
* Replacement Dura Ace 7900 outer chainrings are £265!!!!! Plus the re-designed lever has the ratchet mechanism exposed when you move the lever, which feels very un-Shimano. And you can only shift down two sprockets at a time, rather than three. And the hoods are a bit of a funny shape now.
* SRAM is hardly pretty, is it? Plus generally I am just not arsed with it.

It looks like I am buying another steel bike and I'm at a loss at what to fit - I wanted a new groupset but 7900 is stupidly dear and I don't know if I like 2010 Ultegra. I might go for that ice-grey Ultegra from last year.

My favourite groupsets are Dura Ace 7700 and 7800, both are perfect. I've got Centaur on my steel Kona, 10-speed, square-taper chainset, last year's alloy levers and dérailleurs, looks beautiful and works great.

Back