Alex Iles?

hmmhmm

Dirt Disciple
Anyone know of a framebuilder of this name (or close)? Still in business?I had one of his frames (secondhand, completely unbranded) about 1981 or 82. It was a beautiful deep metallic blue, lugless design with the smoothest, cleanest joins I have ever seen.

hmmhmm":99yy7zdz said:
Anyone know of a framebuilder of this name (or close)? Still in business?I had one of his frames (secondhand, completely unbranded) about 1981 or 82. It was a beautiful deep metallic blue, lugless design with the smoothest, cleanest joins I have ever seen.

http://www.classiclightweights.co.uk makes a couple of brief references to Alex Iles but no details of where he was based. From comments made it seems the business was around in the early 70s at least, operating from a workshop called the Silver Star Forge.

David

Alex Iles

I have an Alex Iles frame too, It was made for me in the silver star forge by Ron Rowlands in late 80s, an old boy that made frames in his garden shed in Uxbridge. He died about 20 years ago, lovely frame, I'll never sell it, it's a fixie at the moment. You see a few of them around NW London ridden by clubmen of a certain age. I've got some transfers somewhere. I know his frame tubes went to Dave Rusell when he was still in Slough.

Back