Koga-Miyata, downtube shifters to STI

Seanos

Retro Newbie
Hi, just wondered if anyone could help, apologies if these are stupid questions but as you can tell I really don't know what I'm doing!

I've got a 1981 Koga-Miyata frame powdercoated orange that I'm building up with Ultegra 6600.

Moving from downtube shifters to STIs I need some bosses - would either of these fit?

http://www.sjscycles.co.uk/product-Shim ... s-5511.htm

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Mode ... elID=38728

I can't seem to find much info on this. Also, I've tried a 1" headset and there's a lot of play, assuming it should be 1 1/8th instead?

Cheers

Seanos

Those adapters are exactly what you want!

The easiest check on the headset is to see if the fork steerer fits through. If it doesn't then maybe you need a 1 1/8". :cool:
If it dies, then there are a couple of incompatible sizes of nominally 1" headset, you may have one of those.

hamster":24dqtaku said:
Those adapters are exactly what you want!

The easiest check on the headset is to see if the fork steerer fits through. If it doesn't then maybe you need a 1 1/8". :cool:
If it dies, then there are a couple of incompatible sizes of nominally 1" headset, you may have one of those.

Cheers Hamster, I'll get them ordered!

Seanos

Dito the STI adjusters should fit, unless the frame comes with on top dwontube shifter mount. In that case you have to source an extra adapter piece.

There exist various size 1" headsets. Check for example Sheldon Brown for a detailed explanation. In extreme case it could be the headtube is slightly ovalized due to a crash or another reason. In that case Loctite 668 could help you solving the issue.

Also, I presume that the frame does have the braze-on mounts to attach the adjusters to? It's possible that thee frame was designed with band-on gear levers in mind, like these

092107_027.JPG

In that case, you may be successful in combining a random band with the STI adjusters, but don't bet on in.

Elev12k":1mj2v4ei said:
Dito the STI adjusters should fit, unless the frame comes with on top dwontube shifter mount. In that case you have to source an extra adapter piece.

As for the headset, have you tried the simplest solution, ie tightening it? is it threaded or threadless?

Cheers, Gareth.

There exist various size 1" headsets. Check for example Sheldon Brown for a detailed explanation. In extreme case it could be the headtube is slightly ovalized due to a crash or another reason. In that case Loctite 668 could help you solving the issue.

Yes, it has the braze on frame mounts.

It's a threaded headset that I'm using a threadless adaptor with. It seems tight enough but the steerer still has some play through the headtube.

Cheers everyone

Another stupid question - are there different sizes of barrel adjusters or will the ones at SJS fit? (It's definitely not the on-top mount, there are holes on either side).

Cheers

The pieces come with barrel adjuster. Do you wonder whether they have sufficient diameter for the cable or so? If so, they have.

Sorry, I meant the diameter of the holes in the frame, are these a standard size or do different make frames have different sizes? I just wanted to check to make sure that the adapterswould definitely fit

Back