Dawes 'Linear' bike?

bebop12

Retro Newbie
hi, just picked up a Dawes Linear road bike from my local bike dump.

just wondering if anyone knew anything about these bikes, or could point me in the direction of some info?

thanks!

untitled_603.jpg

yeah it looks like that, but a bit more battered...

is there any more info? when it was made, how much it was ect?

Think thats a 93 model, 653 tubing with shimano 600 ultegra i believe. Nice bike, always wanted one of those! Not sure about cost, but it wouldnt have been cheap - circe £6-700? (maybe more) Someone else with more knowledge might be along shortly....

Qubit":u1dgnsl4 said:
Think thats a 93 model, 653 tubing with shimano 600 ultegra i believe. Nice bike, always wanted one of those! Not sure about cost, but it wouldnt have been cheap - circe £6-700? (maybe more) Someone else with more knowledge might be along shortly....

From recollections of Dawes brochures of the time this was the top-end model (they never did 753, wonder if they had trouble getting approval?). Don't recall the STI-fitted example already posted although it obviously did exist. An earlier model (ca.1991?) had, from memory, a lilac & green paint job, before that I think the colour scheme was mostly white with pink and yellow flashes. All variants used an Ultegra group and a 653 frame.

David

Dawes Linear

I still have the Linear I bought new in July '96 costing £799. A great bike. 50cm in red with Shimano 105 8-spd. Not sure what tubing was used but the top tube is oval, aligned vertical at the seat-post and then turns through 90 deg to be horizontal at the headset. The rear brake cable is concealed within the top tube.
I still have the owners manual though it's very generic (basic maintenance/adjustment etc).
Up until yesterday it was rideable until a car pulled out in front of me while I was riding to work. The front end is destroyed now and sadly the top tube is quite dented. If I can find some similar geometry forks I'll rebuild it therefore I'm also on the look out for more info.

I have the same one i was about to sell!

Hi there, i have the same bike, had it for a short while to be honest, but i'm not quite sure it fits me right...so i'm going to try and sell it, is £200 a fair price to ask? It requires brake pads/cables/seatpost/seat, brake handles, and gear shifters/cables/rear mech.
What it does have is campagnolo wheels, cinelli handlebars (are these original or upgrades?)
Frame is 22.5" if that helps.
Thanks,
Allan

Attachments

• IMAG0055.jpg
    IMAG0055.jpg
    60 KB · Views: 2,799
Back