Dribble.... Merckx.... Dribble.....

Simon

Senior Retro Guru
I have, sat in front of me, a 64cm Eddy Merckx MX Leader frameset, in quite a restrained midnight blue metallic. And I'm realising quite how futile a frameset is on its own. I want it built right now so I can go and play in the sunshine, but all the bits to go on it are at home, and I've not got any cables....

You can't just leave us with a description Simon, you must give us pics (built or unbuilt) NOW!!! I think 64cm is 25.25", certainly sounds like the same size as a Holdsworth I had (first proper bike).

Anway, sounds absolutely fantastic, hope you are going for a classy European build (if you want to go mad I think I have a Nuovo Record rear mech somewhere and possibly a Super Record one too).

Oh, and as a slight hijack but related, for the discerning buyer my Merckx road frame/forks is still available.

A really naff picture mid-build here. Things still to do are as follows:

1. Go to Condor tommorrow and buy some new pawls & springs for the rear wheel. It used to be owned by a ex-World Cycling Champion, who chewed up the pawls with his power....!

2. Pester the guy who sold me a Cinelli Grammo weeks ago, because it should be here now

3. Wait for Chain Reaction to deliver a new chain, and Dave Hinde to deliver some downtube adjusters

4. Buy a Brooks instead of the arse-hatchet Flite that's on there right now (and yes I know it's not at the right angle....)

5. Find an easy way of cleaning a cassette....

6. Decide whether now is a good time to get my knackered old Ergopowers serviced, or whether I ought to fit them and see quite how knackered they are.....?

It's such a lovely frame - it's defined by solidity rather than craftsmanship, but if you look right behind the inner chainring on the chainstay, just before the chrome starts there's a white over-spray. It's the only damn bit of white basecoat on the entire frame, and it's placed somewhere you'll never notice it, but someone thought about it. I wanted to get the frame re-sprayed in Molteni orange, but the dark blue metallic is just so understated and perfect for a bike I'm hoping to hammer the crap out of all summer.

p1020403dh5.jpg

Beautiful!

Looks like you're building it with 8 speed record too?

On the ergo front they're pretty easy to service. Lot's of info on the 'net. There are a few common parts which fail (springs IIRC) which can be replaced for buttons.

1999 9spd - the only carbon bit is the Ergos, and that was only because they were cheap!

Simon

Looks very sweet indeed but surely a Rolls or Turbo Super would be more in keeping than a Brooks?

Looks very sweet indeed but surely a Rolls or Turbo Super would be more in keeping than a Brooks?

Yes, but I don't get on with them. I'm not aiming for any particular 'period correct' build on this, it'll be a daily user.

Back