Just for fun - what road bike for £5k?

ededwards

Retrobike Rider
Gold Trader
rBotM Winner
Feedback
View
You've won a prize with a cycling magazine who've given you £5,000 to spend on a road bike with the following conditions:
- it must be new (i.e. no second hand)
- you can only buy one bike
- if you've got cash left from the £5,000 then you can spend on road related cycling clothes, cycling holiday etc.

So, what do you buy? And why that bike/choice and not the myriad of others?

Steelman because I like the aesthetics and they are beautifully crafted. I would spec it with new kit.

RIH because they are made in a traditional way and are from my home country. I would spec it with old Super Record.

Too many to choose from but a Storck scenario 1.1 with Lightweights and Red would do.

Or possibly just a Cannondale 6 and a month in the Pyrenees.

Or since its retrobike a Neo Primato and a fortnight in Italy.

I'd struggle to be honest. One side would want a Pegoretti with SR11. Another would want boutique custom ti (seven?) with dura ace.

A tricky question for sure but here's a few thoughts to toss into the mix:

- go off the peg steel, there are loads of options but the re-ssued Colnago Master would have to be in the mix

- go fully custom steel, either US (Vanilla, Sachs, Waterford, the already mentioned Steelman, IF, Inglis - some of the waiting times could be lengthy!), UK (Mercian or Roberts although if Robin Mather is back up and running he'd certainly need to be considered) or possibly Italian (Pegoretti for sure although there are of course others)

- go off the peg ti with the usual suspects

- go custom ti as above but including De Rosa (are they still doing custom?)

- go off the peg carbon, perhaps as a whole bike from Planet X or the Boardman range, super value and allows for some great holidays/kit

- go custom carbon, which I know little about

Then there's groupset. If it is Italian it has to be Campag. But then the new Record/Super Record is not pleasing to my jaundiced eye, particularly the horn shaped Ergo hoods which could bring Shimano and SRAM into the fold. Best compromise - some NOS alloy Campag 9 speed.

Wheels? Depends on frame choice but likely to be handbuilt, traditionally spoked ones.

Bars? Shallow drop, traditional bend in silver if possible.

Saddle? Fizik Arione.

Ok, so loads of choices but I've got to plum for someting so here goes:
- custom steel IF Club Racer. Why? I like the classic steel lines, has mudguard eyelets so offers versatility, top quality. I would say Mercian to keep it British but have heard mixed reviews of customer service. If Robin Mather was definitely back I'd choose one of his frames over the IF.

- groupset would be alloy Campag, Chorus or Centaur. Why? Fairly traditional appearance, modern performance.

- wheels would be traditionally spoked for appearance/ease of service as much as anything else. I'd get Pete Matthews to build them.

I'm not sure how much that would cost, say £3,500 with fittings etc. That leaves £500 for kit and £1,000 for a cycling holiday.

Kit - shoes will have to be a pair of those Dromartis (because they are beautiful, traditional in appearance - see a theme emerging? - and top quality) and I'll add in some Assos bibshorts (leaving cost aside, simply the best) and a Vintage Velos Molteni wool jersey (looks classy, really well made). Probably leaves just enough chance for a cotton cycling cap.

Cycling holiday? Italy I think, for the combination of history, great riding and top notch food and drink. I'll stay a fortnight and gorge on the lot.

I haven't really given this much thought, have I.

I may be inclined to add to the kitty and get a Master 55. Realistically and more logically perhaps, a new Master X Light with top end campag. New or NOS, Ill decide when it happens! That said, A Mercian Vincitore would be rather special. Perhaps I could buy a frame with the change from the Nag...

And the reason?

My Nag rides better than any machine I have ever tried.

So if the opportunity arose to get a new one, well, it would be rude not to!

Send my measurement, to Mr Zullo, pantagraphed everything, dripping with campag :) ..
Pick it up myself, then a fortnight cycling round lake garda..........
MMMMMMMMMMMMM heaven... :LOL: .

Hell,,,,,,,,,,
What about a frame made by Ugo De rosa's, himself.
This question is 2 difficult.......... :? :?

Back