L'eroica - advice needed on suitable bike and facial hair

ededwards

Retrobike Rider
Gold Trader
rBotM Winner
Feedback
View
Ok, a couple of us have taken the plunge and entered l'eroica http://www.eroica-ciclismo.it/english/home.asp in early October. These chaps http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I3M9w9fC7tg are certainly trying hard for the 'too cool for the old skool' award but it's a tidy little video.

Obviously key is what bike to take so I thought I'd read the event rules: "All riders must be at the starting line only with historical bikes. It means road race bikes built before 1987, with switch lever on the oblique loom tube, toe clips and belts, external brake wires. The Organisation would allow other types of bikes with new looms but with vintage characteristics and assembled with original old components (switch, handlebars, pedals, etc.)". So downtube shifters, non clipless pedals and exposed brake cables it is and reckon the Raleigh Panasonic might do the job.

Then we are on to clothing - I've sourced a wool jersey (not a Panasonic one - does this matter?) and some traditional leather cycling shoes but I was also wondering whether a helmet is required but it appears not "During such special occasions (free walkings) on white or black roads is allowed the use of historical bikes, traditional costumes, historical outfits. It is also possible the derogation of the helmet." although I may need to find a cap. Would lycra be too much?

So, any thoughts on bike, tyres and gearing for the strada bianchi and, crucially, facial hair (I am unlikely to be able to grow my own so need something stick on that will be able to withstand both grimacing and sweat)?

Mullett hairdo, sideburns and shaved legs.

No Lycra - much to modern.

Low gears, good tyres.

Bar end levers should be OK as they were around in the 50's (Campag ones anyway).

Benotto tape.

You lucky devil, I wish I could go! :mrgreen:

Maybe next year - but I say that every year!!

Very jealous. Trying to persuade an Italian friend to do it next year.

Presume you have seen the Brooks video on Youtube? (someone linked it in your earlier Eroica thread). The key appears to be a moustache suitably curled at the ends. The two French chaps who did Luchon-Bayonne (see the Sean Kelly thread), one of whom features in the aforementioned vid, both sported such facial hair. If growing your own is out of the question, perhaps try Baldrick's 'slug balancer' trick from Blackadder Goes Forth? (now itself over 20 years old).

For the jersey, wool/acrylic seems to be de rigeur, unless perhaps if you're bike is close to the 1987 cut off. Having admired the Rapha commemorative Tourmalet jerseys at last weekend's Etape du Tour (nice price too - £135!), I wonder if there would be demand for some Retrobike tops in wool/mix, suitably styled, e.g. black/white/black tricolor with 'Retrobike' across the middle? No idea who would make them though.

Which course will you do? For the 200k, the 'tabella di marcia' suggests as much as 3600m(!) of climbing, in which case you'll want some low gears - could be tricky to arrange with 135mm BCD Campagnolo cranks. The white roads will demand sturdy tyres, although aesthetics (=skinwalls) are obviously of even greater importance.

Top responses chaps, certainly provides something to reflect on.

Old Ned":30y0xr3e said:
No Lycra - much to modern.

Part of me agrees but the frame has been confirmed as 1984, the groupset is Nuovo Record so in keeping - when was lycra introduced?

monty dog":30y0xr3e said:
I'm just praying that the weather isn't like the stage 7 of this year's Giro which was over the same roads:
http://www.cyclingnews.com/races/93rd-g ... e-7/photos
But if it is then we'll just have to dare to be great!

nimbus":30y0xr3e said:
For the jersey, wool/acrylic seems to be de rigeur, unless perhaps if you're bike is close to the 1987 cut off. Having admired the Rapha commemorative Tourmalet jerseys at last weekend's Etape du Tour (nice price too - £135!), I wonder if there would be demand for some Retrobike tops in wool/mix, suitably styled, e.g. black/white/black tricolor with 'Retrobike' across the middle? No idea who would make them though.
The wool jersey idea is a nice one and has been mooted before. I'm sure a supplier could be found but I suspect that we might struggle to get enough people to make it economic as I bet it wouldn't be cheap. Doesn't mean that we can't discuss again though.

nimbus":30y0xr3e said:
Which course will you do? For the 200k, the 'tabella di marcia' suggests as much as 3600m(!) of climbing, in which case you'll want some low gears - could be tricky to arrange with 135mm BCD Campagnolo cranks. The white roads will demand sturdy tyres, although aesthetics (=skinwalls) are obviously of even greater importance.
Entered in the 205km which I'm sure I'll regret but figure, despite the stats, that it can't be too brutal if people ride it on old bikes well before the advent of compact chainsets or generous capacity rear mechs (on racing bikes at least). Hoping that 42x26 will see me through.

Tyres are of course a key consideration and aesthetics has to win so 28mm touring tyres with thick innertubes is my current thinking.

You're probably right about small production runs of wool jerseys - perhaps the Rapha prices aren't so unreasonable after all.

Reckon you'll be fine with 42x26 - I find (oddly) that I don't miss gears that I haven't got, if that makes any sense? Looks like the 205k shares much of the route with the shorter course - you'll have plenty of time to ponder the wisdom of your choice after you turn off onto the hilly southern loop.

In any case I'm sure it will be great - classic bikes, beautiful scenery and people who don't take themselves too seriously.

ededwards":1pumtxtz said:
when was lycra introduced?
it was certainly around in '84 cos I was racing in it. But jerseys were stretchy skin material rather than with towelly or roubaix backing. Put some food and a couple of tubes in the pockets and you had an instant miniskirt. And there were some horrendous colours (Ive still got a "beanbag" one, hardly used from the period).

Back