Retrobike Forum Index

It is currently Fri Dec 09, 2016 7:22 am

* Login   * Register * Search  * FAQ

PostPosted: Tue Jul 20, 2010 3:14 pm 
Gold Trader
Gold Trader

I have an old gas pipe '88ish Raleigh Banana that my cousin gave me a couple of years ago... on the condition that I never sell it!

No problem thinks I, I'll just hot rod it a bit...

Well, I went a bit over the top with a Charge Spoon saddle, alloy bars, alloy post, aero brake levers pulling dual pivot brakes (which meant drilling out the fork crown hole by c.1mm) plus modern-ish drivetrain (such as all alloy crankset, Vuelta deep rims on 105 9 speed wheels running a 7 speed SIS cassette with hub spacer, matching DT shifters and an SIS mech dangling from an aftermarket hanger that sit behind the rear skewer nut).

Well, yesterday I bought a bargain set of 1986 Weinmann / Maillard QR alloy 700C wheel and, unhappy with the way the Banana is going, I decided to fit them with an old 6 speed Atom 77 freewheel. I used the same 7 speed chain I had been using (very little used) and set the stops on the SIS mech to suit the freewheel, but forgot to switch the levers from from SIS to friction... glad I didn't, as by very carefully tweaking the tension I have managed to get the indexing pretty much perfect.

A happy afternoon's work indeed! :D The bike looks far more retro but still shifts cleanly and stops on a dime - yes, the dual pivots are staying! But I might swap from black to silver :?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 20, 2010 3:49 pm 
Retro Guru

Nice one. You'll find most five and six speed blocks utilize the same spacing and furthermore most rear mechs have the same cable pull ratio. I had a Sachs Rival mech, working with an atom freewheel and Shimano Exage shifters a while ago.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 20, 2010 3:53 pm 
Gold Trader
Gold Trader

GarethPJ wrote:
Nice one. You'll find most five and six speed blocks utilize the same spacing and furthermore most rear mechs have the same cable pull ratio. I had a Sachs Rival mech, working with an atom freewheel and Shimano Exage shifters a while ago.

Indeed... I had 6 speed index working with no probs on another vintage machine, but was surprised that my 7 speed shifters worked in this instance on a 6 speed freewheel - same spacing then? Shame the freewheel is so noisy, despite having a thorough service recently!