Steel Lemond I.D.

Herbivore

Retro Newbie
Hi Retro bike. This is my first post.

I wonder if you can help.
I have a Greg Lemond Gan team frame, the first type...blue rear, yellow at the front with blue fork tips. I've heard that these were built by Bilato and they have 'silv' underneath. Mine doesn't have this which makes me think it's a scapin; I heard they built early Lemond frames. is there any way I can tell? Was silv stamped on the BB or somewhere else... I just can't find it. And would the fact it's a Scapin add to the value (yes it will soon be up for sale).

Thanks.

Lemond

Hi mate
I too have a lemond GAN frame. Mine is a 94 and is a Bilato built model.
I think Trek took over in late95 early 96?. I know Trek did the same paint scheme but they didnt have the GAN decals.
Dont really know about the Scapin connection beforehand. If its a Bilato it will have the SYLV initials under the brake bridge.
I will (hopefully) have a couple of pics attached.
Hope this helps and put a pic of yours up.

Jamie

DSC_0161.jpg

DSC_0171.jpg

DSC_0163.jpg

Nice

Thats earlier than mine, the decals are very much in the style of the carbon calfee frames.
Lemondfan on here is the man who would know, a font of knowledge on Lemonds :D
Very nice regardless of year ;)

Jamie

I've looked and it does have SILVA under the brake bridge, so it is a Bilato. I can't believe I hadn't seen that before! Thanks for the info. :)
Just for the record if anyone's interested... I bought it new in 1992, it's Columbus SL (sold a Lemond GL tubing) with Columbus castings throughout. it has no cable-guides under the slotted-bracket, but a threaded hole for bolting on you own guide.

This bike is going on E-Bay at the end of the month. I've only ridden it a few dozen times in the last 10 years!

Is there any reason a SILVA brake bridge means Bilato made ? Surely anyone could buy Silva frame making parts and go for it ?

Re: Lemond

Jamiedyer":1010xgw6 said:
Hi mate
I too have a lemond GAN frame. Mine is a 94 and is a Bilato built model.
I think Trek took over in late95 early 96?. I know Trek did the same paint scheme but they didnt have the GAN decals.

Did the Trek Lemonds ever use lugged construction? All the ones I've seen have been welded.

David

SILVA is an Italian brand of frame building items and tools. Distributed by Ceeway in the UK, formerly SABA.

Thanks for the nice comments Jamie

Indeed a 1992 / 93 Gan team colours frame.

All the steel frames with this type of logo pre trek were Bilato built, some sprayed in Europe and some sprayed in the USA (USA are the ones with a white Ten Speed Drive Imports Sticker under the lacquer, these also benefited from special Dupont paint). Prior to that Roland Della Santa and also Serotta built the original Team Lemond branded frames from what I have read. The Carbon Frames Inc / Greg Lemond branded were built by Craig Calfee in the USA and the model Tetra Pro is still made by Craig to this day.

JE James were the UK importers of Lemond in the early 90's, they also bought up the stock when Lemond bikes went bankrupt mid 1990's prior to the Trek buyout. This resulted in some rare combinations surfacing such as Coal Black, Cherry Red, and Pearl White with Z decals. This is when and where I bought my first Lemond for £250 for the frame at the time. We are only talking about 20 bikes max so these are quite rare now.

Trek produced a similar model to Jamie's machine (Gan 94 colours) but cannot remember if this was lugged or not

Hope this helps

Back