Carlton Continental c1972

Spokesmann

rBoTM Triple Crown
rBotM Winner
PoTM Winner
This was my very first proper bike, I got this second hand way back in 1976. I still have it today, although its just entered the works for a full clean and service.

I took these pictures a few years ago. Its equipped with 12-speed set up, 32 tooth rear sprocket and a mega-range rear mech (I used to use this for commuting - Plymouth has tons of hills!)

Frame is 21" and uses (then) Weinmann 730 brakes, but I have since fitted some old GB Syncron (a sort of sidepull/centre pull hybrid developed by GB and Altenburger), Ofmega 42/52 front chainwheels and the obligatory Brooks B17 saddle.
Ive fitted this one out with an old Pleischer alloy rack and a superb Miller Dynamo with twin bulb headlamp. I use LED back up too.

Im hoping to get this one back on the road later this year and may cover the refurb in a new thread if people dont mind seeing yet another Carlton in my workshop.

MIKESPICS012-1.jpg

MIKESPICS006-1.jpg

Shimano 600 levers
MIKESPICS005-1.jpg

Not for the purist, it woks very well indeed though.
MIKESPICS010-1.jpg

Crepera lugs and the famous headbadge...
MIKESPICS008-1.jpg

carlton

Thats a beauty - I mean theres something so proper about these bikes - they are as bikes should be?

This bike entered the works today for a full overhaul and clean:

P7150511.jpg

Chain is 'caked'!
P7150512.jpg

P7150514.jpg

P7150515.jpg

P7150516.jpg

Need a couple of new tyres and the back wheel truing up. A couple of new B block is all that is required oh and plenty of degreaser and elbow work!

Done a little more cleaning and general tidying to the cycle over the weekend.

This bike has been in my possession since I was 12-13 so its very precious to me.

P7200607.jpg

Rear wheel needs a little truing. Note the 32 tooth 6-speed block.

P7200606.jpg

Front wheel is original, I love large flange hubs. Being cleaned!

P7200605.jpg

A view of the asymmetrical brake. A badge engineered job for GB, these were made by Altenburger in Germany. I have only ever seen them fitted to one other bike and that was a Sun Squadra of the early 1970s. They work very well and are much better than the Weinmann 730 that came with the bike.

P7200604.jpg

The Shimano 600 levers, the right lever is both SIS and friction and can be set to either.

P7200603.jpg

Fork crown looking cleaner.

P7200602.jpg

Rear brake and Miller dynamo which run the front lamp and also the rear built -light on the SKS mudgaurds.

P7200601.jpg

Worn but clean now, front changer is a Shimano 600.

P7200600.jpg

Latest posts

Back