Mercian for restoration

kid cragg

Retro Newbie
I've inherited an old mercian :D

so thinking bout tidying it up for future use on my commute. Any one know how to tell how old it is any idea how i can tell? frame numbers etc?

Is it worth taking a trip to the mercian shop in Derby? Anyone had any experience of restoring one or got any thoughts on it?

Any info welcomed as i'm a mountain biker who is
a) new to road bike and b) new to old bikes

Cheers in advance

Ben

The guys in the Mercian shop are pretty helpful IME - as long as its not busy i.e Saturday mornings. I expect they'd be able to give you the age just from the frame number but judging by the geometry and frame fittings, I'd hazard a guess at 70s. Looks weird with the chainring spider fitted inside-out.

yeah i'm not quite sure why the chain ring is the wrong way around.

I'm planning on taking it apart so i'm left with the frameset and parts.

So I can see what condition everything is in before planning the restoration.

Might pop along to the Mercian shop for more info. I've had a look over the frame but can't find the frame number on the forks or dropouts. I was told the last two numbers of the frame number are the year

It's a bobby dazzler. Polish it and enjoy - and let me know if you would like rid of it!

Will do! Thanks for everyones else. I'm gonna strip the frame down to parts this weekend before taking a trip over to Mercian for a heads up. After that a good service and will post up the results here :D

Goldie i will bare you in mind once its done as it might be a wee bit small for me sadly :(

Back