Columbia, Worksop, England.

guitarpete247

Dirt Disciple
I've got a bike I made in 1982/3 from a frame I bought from H.O. Smith's of Doncaster. I was told by Bob Read, who owned the shop at the time, that it had been made in a unit on the site of the old Carlton factory.

Does anyone know what tubing they used as there ar no markings on the tubes just the name Columbia and Worksop, Columbia, England on the head tube.

I got onto the Carlton site and emailed the guy that runs it but so far no response. Maybe he doesn't monitor the site that well.

Anyone got any catalogues or were there any adverts from the blokes that made the frames?

Did they only make frames or did they make up complete bikes?

I know these are a lot of questions but I'm sure someone here will know a lot more about them or be able to put me onto someone who does.

they were bespoke frame builders, I knew several people who had them. Built mainly in 531 or 531pro, dont know if they had a 753 licence?? Never saw one in columbus, but then I only saw a few on the race circuit.

So it looks like I've got a fairly decent frame. I will probably have to get round to having it re-painted or powder coated then as it's looking a little tatty and showing it's 30 years of age. Though no rust were the paint has been dinged off.

Back