Worn head tube cup seats

greenstiles

Old School Grand Master
Feedback
View
Hello all,

i'm usually on the mtb side but have just bought a road frame from a member who forgot to mention that the head tube cup seats are so worn that the new heatset supplied in the frame are so loose that thay rattle in all directions, after taking the electrical tape off that was bulking out the cup !!!. I would say 0.5mm on the top cup and 0.5mm on the bottom cup, yes that is a lot. MY QUESTION IS THIS.....should I persue a refund as this wasn't mentioned in the add at all, or should I try and fix this problem with LOCTITE 660 (£20-25 !!!)which is meant for thickening bearing seats up to 0.2-0.5max mm gap, rendering the area suitable for future changes of cups (so it says on their site). I was thinking about liquid metal or P25/38, but I think this would make it very difficult to change cups in the future............really not sure what to do ????? :cry: :cry: :cry:

Just found out from the member that sold this to me that their local bike shop fitted the new headset ! As an ex cycle shop manager and long time mechanic, i'm glad I'm too far away to go and tell them what I think of them :evil:

Member has offered to pay for loctite, and I accept that they were not aware, and the bike shop is responsible. Idiots.

Would still like suggestions from people who have had to repair cup seats ??

do you mean an integrated headset that uses the actual headtube seats as bearing races? If so, dunno what to do
or do you mean an external cup type headset that slots into a standard straight headtube and cups are loose fit? If so, then wrap masking tape around the cups and fit. A bit bodgy, but the fix will outlast the headset. Dont use sticky plastic insulation tape as it moves under pressure when you press in the cups. The papery feel of masking tape will keep it from stretching and the different adhesive will stop it sliding. Also, some headsets feel looser/tighter on the same frame.

cheers , just ordered loctite 660 which should be a proper job, tape is a real bodge and not safe long term, i'm ex bike mechanic... :D and they are external cups

Tape is safe - once the headset is tightened those cups aren't going anywhere. Loctite would be a neater fix however - and you'll not need the cups out for years yet unless you're planning anything dramatic.

when i said not safe i meant for the headtube seat, not the rider, it would eventually compress and the cup would start to rock and wear the seat :cool:

Yep tape is a proper bodge . If it's a hefty flare then I've heard of people using a thin hacksaw to make a cut and then welding it up , doing so tightens the tube . Go with the loctite first though .

Back