Retro Newbie
I bought this frame from Hilary Stone over on the LFGSS forums:

HELYETT? ROAD FRAME c1983
Seat Tube (ctc): 54cm
Top Tube (ctc): 53cm
Rear dropout width: 126mm
Wheel size: 700C with brake drop of 45mm
Frame tubing: Probably Reynolds 531C
This is a really very beautiful road frame quite possibly built by Bernard Carré for Helyett who were by the 80s owned by another company. by this period but I would not be at all certain. But what is certain is that this frame is really very nicely built... The very chunky setstays and partial wrapover seatstay tops are very typical of Bernard Carré’s work. Threads are British and the seatpost size is 27.2mm. A really understated frame.

I've got it built up and started riding it and I now love it having finally got my fit about right. I was wondering if anyone here might be able to take a guess at the history. Helyett seemed to stop producing bikes themselves in the 50/60s, so who would have built this? Really I'd like to know so I can try to get it's proper GS on, rather than the early 8 speed Campy set that I had lying around.

I've taken a few pictures and put up a gallery here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/40698264@N ... 14/detail/

Any further insight much appreciated.

To me, Helyett's should be dark green and ridden by Jacques Anquetil and his team. I thought the brand had faded away after the 50's/60's glory years and wasn't aware that it had continued into the 80's - but you learn a little every day :D

That's what is a bit confusing about it. Hopefully someone might spot something on the frame that confirms my suspicion that a Helyett fan threw some stickers onto a frame they liked.

The colour is really growing on me. I thought it was horrible at first and seriously considered getting a repsray, but I've now decided to keep it as is for the foreseeable. No puppies killed here...

Back