Shifting issues.

Grannygrinder

Retrobike Rider
Gold Trader
Feedback
View
I have a 105 double front mech which i'm using with a bar end shifter on my cyclocross bike.
It doesn't matter how I adjust the stop screws or the cable tension it will not shift enough to get to the big ring?
I have about 6-7mm clearance between the inner ring and the chainstay, when I tried to reduce this using a slightly shorter BB the non drive crank fouled the chainstay.
I'm thinking just get a triple mech and adjust it on the stop screws? Any other ideas?

Attachments

• cyclo RSP 003.JPG
    cyclo RSP 003.JPG
    113.5 KB · Views: 821
Can ye physically move the mech so it goes the full range (with yer fingers with the cable slckened or unclamped)?? If so, then I'd say the problem is with the shift lever.........aside from that, I haven't a jar o' glue. It's a pain in the erse, mind, when ye fit all the gear on an it refuses to comply.......... :cry: :x

Doh!! :roll: Fixed it, i'd put the lever back together so it could only pull through 90degrees instead of the full 180ish. Thanks for the hint, I thought it was mech issues but it was an operator error :D

BTW, you have clamped the cable on the wrong side of the bolt on the mech: it should be on the left.

Shifting should then be much lighter....

+1 on the wrong side of the bolt. The leverage will increase, thus making it easier, as hamster says.

I did excatly that not long back. never before but took the shifter off with the lever in the middle ring position then wondered why half its travel had gone

:D Cable was purposely on the wrong side at the time of taking the pic to see if it would effect the shifting, it didn't help ;)

Back