Barcon Converters

GarethPJ

Retro Guru
I'd like to fit bar end shifters to my Dawes, but I'm having trouble finding seven speed indexed shifters in that fitting. Nobody seems to stock them new (fair enough) and I can't find any used.

Somebody, I think it was Dia Compe, used to sell simple converters. They were a aluminium bar end plugs with a shifter boss and cable stop, so you could reuse your downtube shifters. Can you still get these, I've had no luck sourcing them on t'interwebs.

Cheers,

GJ

After some consideration I suppose that all bar end shifters are based on the same principal, so all I need to do is find a cheap old pair and swap the shifters for my downtube jobbies.

8 speed ones will work quite happily. i have some kicking around somewhere, but you should still be able to buy em new..........

Andy

Hmmm? I tried 8 speed shifters once on my MTB when I smashed up a seven speed right shifter and found that I couldn't get them to index correctly all the way across. Generally I found I could get 1st to 5th or 3rd to 7th OK, but it was a bit hit or miss on the next sprocket.

Going to try to pick up some cheap barcons and swap my seven speed downtube shifters onto them.

Cheers.

Back