Raleigh Carlton Cobra late 60's ( New Old stock )

augustfour

Dirt Disciple
Hi. Can any 1 can help to Identify this frame??
Size 52, just get from 1 ols shop in singapore..
Raleigh Head logo with CArlton Cobra Striker.
Frame look like Carlton, but head logo is raleigh..
This is new frame never fix before, but old skool..
Frame No NP4202699

welcome to comment.. please give suggestion can i use DuraAce EX for this frame?? Look nice??

Hope restro BRO Bro can help..

Rgds
SAW ( SIngapore / Malaysia )

Attachments

• P6110796.JPG
    P6110796.JPG
    37.5 KB · Views: 9,716
  • P6110800.JPG
    P6110800.JPG
    27.7 KB · Views: 9,712
  • P6110805.JPG
    P6110805.JPG
    38.2 KB · Views: 9,710
  • P6110807.JPG
    P6110807.JPG
    29.8 KB · Views: 9,712
I don't think it is a high end bike, if it was it would be likely to have a W serial number if it was post 74 (and I reckon this is) It is more than likely a mid range Nottingham build frame. The brake bridge for centrepulls to my mind dates it to around the late 70s. All educated guesses BTW.

Nice chrome though.

Thanks..

I agree with very solid British Crom...
Will look nice if polish work done..

SO plan to restro soon, but the problem need to look for groupset

I'd agree, not a top end frame. It has a lot in common with a 75/76 model I used to have. Still very, very nice though.

Yes i managed to get a new carlton Cobra frame on ebay a few years ago and im just in the process of rebuilding it. I also had one back in the 70s - about 76 ( cost about 75 pounds then!!). As previously mentioned they were not high end and quite heavy but still a pretty nice frame. they were usually decked out in weinmann, simplex or huret stuff and came in 5 or 10 speed format ( as was usual at the time). My original did thousands of miles with no problems.

May be a bit late coming into this, but the frame dates from c1967-75. The bike uses Crespera lugs which were around for this period. That said its a fine looking frame, they also did a blue/chrome version which was the 10-speed model (red being used for the 5-speed model)

Equipment of this machine would have been Weinmann Vanquers CP, Simplex prestige rear and front mechs, Brooks saddle and GB stem and bars.

Well worth building up as there nothing quite like an all chrome frame. Have a look at my Constellation pics...

Great to see one again - the Carlton I always wanted as a kid!

Mine was the blue ten speed one, it was bought new in 1976 but the original owner reckoned it was a 1975 model. So if you're right about your dating then he was right about it being a 75.

GarethPJ":1ziox6ll said:
Mine was the blue ten speed one, it was bought new in 1976 but the original owner reckoned it was a 1975 model. So if you're right about your dating then he was right about it being a 75.

Well Ill stick my neck out and say c1974-76! :LOL:

I have a 74 Raleigh catalogue with the Cobra in it in this finish.

carlton cobra

The blue one was the one I lusted after - but the red one I ended up with was lovely too.
When Ive finished sticking this one back together it will be like a new bike and I'll post some pictures - still looking for some GB handlebars though.....Then it will be like Im 14 again.....(note to self - need to see my therapist)

Re: carlton cobra

sisyphus":3dm1hcfm said:
The blue one was the one I lusted after - but the red one I ended up with was lovely too.
When Ive finished sticking this one back together it will be like a new bike and I'll post some pictures - still looking for some GB handlebars though.....Then it will be like Im 14 again.....(note to self - need to see my therapist)

Are you after a stem/bars or just the bars...

Back