Retrobike Forum Index

It is currently Sat Dec 10, 2016 6:05 am

* Login   * Register * Search  * FAQ



Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 17 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
Author Message
PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2010 2:20 pm 
Old School Hero

Joined: Thu Jun 10, 2010 9:45 am
Posts: 210
Hi, I'm new so hello :)

I've just acquired a Raleigh track frame that's been repainted by a company called Vernon Barker.

Here's some pics: http://www.flickr.com/photos/49085745@N ... 936086731/

I'd love to restore it to its original glory but I'm struggling to identify it's original team colours & graphics. The serial number SB5778 suggests it's early '83, according to the database on the Raleigh Yahoo SB/Ti group. I found these 2 road frame examples on radpropoganda from '83, but I can't find any track examples between 81 & 84.

http://radpropaganda.org/wp-content/upl ... rame83.jpg
http://radpropaganda.org/wp-content/upl ... rame83.jpg

The forks on these 2 road frames look the same as mine, whereas the '81 track frames have a square fork crown.

There is the possibilty that it's not '83, it could have been a team panasonic frame... but the serial number does suggest it was early '83.

There is also 14 & 54 stamped under the bb, plus a 73 stamped into the seat cluster lug.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks,
Wayne


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2010 2:47 pm 
Retro Guru

Joined: Wed Dec 10, 2008 9:19 am
Posts: 2098
Location: Sheffield, top city
Assuming it is 1983, then from a colour angle, raleighs would have been of
1. the team colours like you have posted up
2. silver with black block lettering
3. gold with black block lettering
4. any colour if it was a bespoke customer order from the special products factory.

I wouldnt disagree with '83, as the seat cluster is the type that raleighs made around that time. Some time later in the 80's, and I'm not sure if was for panasonic, or systeme U, they had shot in stays into the binding bolt.

It would be interesting to see a close up of the fork section, near the crown. Traditionally, track bikes have round section forks at the top, road bikes have more oval, but at around that time, reynolds changed their profile so that both types used an oval section (more round than the extreme oval of before and looking like columbus). O'donovan who was head honcho framebuilder at RSP would have used the latest offerings from reynolds, as he had a foot in their door.

The No. 73 refers to the seat angle measurement in degrees, and is typical of a competion frame.

some big raleigh track riders of the day would have been gordon singleton and bert oosterbosch, if you wanna google some images.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2010 9:58 pm 
Old School Hero

Joined: Wed Apr 02, 2008 7:22 pm
Posts: 209
Location: Midlands, UK
Wayne,
Welcome.
Interestingly enough I have just started a similar project (see link to thread under my name). Your frame looks right to me, but I think you have the wrong forks fitted. Take a look at this:

http://velospace.org/files/VelospaceRaleigh.jpg

This is the same as mine, the models higher than this had drilled track ends. Mine has Campagnolo track and fork ends. (and a Raleigh Track fork).


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 13, 2010 12:40 pm 
Old School Hero

Joined: Thu Jun 10, 2010 9:45 am
Posts: 210
pigman wrote:
It would be interesting to see a close up of the fork section, near the crown. Traditionally, track bikes have round section forks at the top, road bikes have more oval, but at around that time, reynolds changed their profile so that both types used an oval section (more round than the extreme oval of before and looking like columbus). O'donovan who was head honcho framebuilder at RSP would have used the latest offerings from reynolds, as he had a foot in their door.


Hi Pigman,

Thanks for that, this forum's been instantly more helpful than anywhere else I've tried.

Here's the close-up shot I have of the fork crown: http://www.flickr.com/photos/49085745@N ... 936086731/

Any help?


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 13, 2010 1:15 pm 
rider | rBoTM Winner
rider | rBoTM Winner
User avatar

Joined: Fri Jan 25, 2008 1:42 pm
Posts: 5133
Location: Wakefield, Yorkshire
I would have thought that a track frame from Raleigh would have had a plate crown not an aero sloping one. Possibly not the original forks in that case.

Perhaps they were changed to allow a brake to be fitted, the originals might have been undrilled and even if they were, not suitable for an allen-key fixed stirrup.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 13, 2010 4:11 pm 
Old School Hero

Joined: Thu Jun 10, 2010 9:45 am
Posts: 210
Pointer wrote:
Wayne,
Welcome.
Interestingly enough I have just started a similar project (see link to thread under my name). Your frame looks right to me, but I think you have the wrong forks fitted. Take a look at this:

http://velospace.org/files/VelospaceRaleigh.jpg

This is the same as mine, the models higher than this had drilled track ends. Mine has Campagnolo track and fork ends. (and a Raleigh Track fork).


Ahhhh.. that link looks very similar. Strange about the forks, I might have to try and get hold of some new forks then.... could be tricky.

How's yours coming along?

Was looking at Bob Jackson for a respray but really worried about the paint being too brittle.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2010 9:24 am 
Old School Hero

Joined: Thu Jun 10, 2010 9:45 am
Posts: 210
Old Ned wrote:
I would have thought that a track frame from Raleigh would have had a plate crown not an aero sloping one. Possibly not the original forks in that case.

Perhaps they were changed to allow a brake to be fitted, the originals might have been undrilled and even if they were, not suitable for an allen-key fixed stirrup.


So do you think my forks are from a Raleigh road frame? They are Raleigh though, right?


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2010 11:51 am 
rider | rBoTM Winner
rider | rBoTM Winner
User avatar

Joined: Fri Jan 25, 2008 1:42 pm
Posts: 5133
Location: Wakefield, Yorkshire
wblenkin wrote:
Old Ned wrote:
I would have thought that a track frame from Raleigh would have had a plate crown not an aero sloping one. Possibly not the original forks in that case.

Perhaps they were changed to allow a brake to be fitted, the originals might have been undrilled and even if they were, not suitable for an allen-key fixed stirrup.


So do you think my forks are from a Raleigh road frame? They are Raleigh though, right?


Not necessarily, I think that is a pretty 'standard' fork crown used by many builders. Is there a number on the steerer tube? This may be an indicator of the maker.

Can't remember what make the fork crown is at the moment - but I'm sure it will come to me!


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2010 5:02 pm 
Old School Hero

Joined: Thu Jun 10, 2010 9:45 am
Posts: 210
I'll actually have the frame in my possession tonight so will check out the steerer tube and dropouts.

Just spoke to Dave Marsh at Universal Cycle Centre & he thinks the forks are probably the original ones, he said he's had a couple of track frames with those forks. So maybe they are original, I'll find out tonight hopefully.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2010 5:22 pm 
rider | rBoTM Winner
rider | rBoTM Winner
User avatar

Joined: Fri Jan 25, 2008 1:42 pm
Posts: 5133
Location: Wakefield, Yorkshire
Dave's the one who'll know if anyone does!

Keep us informed - please :wink:


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 17 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

All times are UTC [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 19 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  

About Us

Follow Retrobike

Other cool stuff

All content © 2005-2015 Retrobike unless otherwise stated.
Cookies Policy.
bikedeals - the best bike deals in one place
FatCOGS - Fat Chance Owner's Group

Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group