The Vitus 979 - an update

legrandefromage

Bin Monkey
BoTM Winner
PoTM Winner
GT Fan
Feedback
View
Ever since joining this site and watching Elev12k's builds I've been pretty much devoting as much time to road bikes as I am into old MTB tat.

I love the engineering principles and looks of Alan and other bonded frames so when worlds of finances and opportunity collided on an equal scale, I jumped at the chance of purchasing stuarts Vitus 979.

So a quick trip to Northampton and marvelling at stuarts modern road bike (a strange overly light plastic thing that felt as if it didnt exist), a lovely Gios and a Ford Transit designed broken Vitus, I beheld my first proper bonded frame in the flesh.

Exited, I get all me bits out...

and nothing fits :roll: :LOL:

My lovely gold Weinmanns - no good, too long

My lovely gold Sakae bars - wrong diameter

My lovely Campagnolo Record chainset - blooming axle too short

You get the idea. Anyway, here it is so far, its at the smaller end of frame size for me but I dont think I'll have any trouble riding it. I've read up on the potential flex these frames have but I'm not that worried, I dont ride enough anyway.

Attachments

• Vitus 979.jpg
    Vitus 979.jpg
    169.5 KB · Views: 5,891
Sorry can't help with bits. But it does look nice so far..............
That Elev 12 has a lot to answer for :) I'm now taking a strong interest in dutch bikes, but i'm trying to resist the urge to buy....

Nice to learn my builds are in some kid of way perceived inspiring. I now realize it has already been quite some time ago I finished a full project. There are enough, what can not be said of time.

On your Vitus project: In my case, with that much pieces of the puzzle missing I would quit the project, move the frame on and the small parts go back in storage. That has everything to do with that I already have enough projects lined up, of which most only have to be assembled. There is no argument for half complete projects for me atm. In your case that is maybe different, I do not know. Moreover it sounds like you really wanted this bike, so not giving up seems like the way to go for you. Still mildly bummer you can't get it out already upcoming weekend :) (if weather is good :roll: )

Btw if you're really determined to go for gold: I've a full PX-10 cockpit consisting of Philippe stem/bar, MAFAC levers (fresh hoods) and black tape. Never mounted and ready for fitting. French sizing stem. However a decade earlier, what would make it not my prefered choice.

Elev12k":3ewfxtno said:
Nice to learn my builds are in some kid of way perceived inspiring. I now realize it has already been quite some time ago I finished a full project. There are enough, what can not be said of time.

On your Vitus project: In my case, with that much pieces of the puzzle missing I would quit the project, move the frame on and the small parts go back in storage. That has everything to do with that I already have enough projects lined up, of which most only have to be assembled. There is no argument for half complete projects for me atm. In your case that is maybe different, I do not know. Moreover it sounds like you really wanted this bike, so not giving up seems like the way to go for you. Still mildly bummer you can't get it out already upcoming weekend :) (if weather is good :roll: )

Btw if you're really determined to go for gold: I've a full PX-10 cockpit consisting of Philippe stem/bar, MAFAC levers (fresh hoods) and black tape. Never mounted and ready for fitting. French sizing stem. However a decade earlier, what would make it not my prefered choice.

I'm nearly there, some compromises have been made on the gold front, thats all...

legrandefromage":jzp18dl1 said:
I'm nearly there, some compromises have been made on the gold front, thats all...

Okay, I am sorry, I misunderstood. Thought you were more or less asking yourself what to do.

Well if you stuck for stuff im sure you could shift the frame wink wink :LOL:

Im sure you will source something, they are a lovely frame!

Cheers Steve

now just waiting for:

3 x sets of shifters from here and an unexpected win from ebay

1 pair of Campagnolo Gran Sport callipers

1 pair of Mavic callipers (Modelo?) - another unexpected win from ebay.

then we have lift off.

You fitting 4 brakes then - or just hedging your bets?

Stick with the build - you'll like it :D

Back