The refinishing thread - stickers & resprays

john

The Guv’nor
Admin
Retrobike Rider
Feedback
View
Without wanting to get into a debate as to the merits of refinishing vs original finish please post up your experiences of refinishing here. If the thread proves popular and becomes a worthwhile resource I'll sticky it.

Sticker suppliers

H Lloyd Cycles

Cyclomondo

Sprayers

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
Good idea for a Sticky, saves people trawling through threads for what I imagine is a common subject for old bike restorations.
I'm finishing off a 70's Claud Butler which only needs 2 small decals replacing and would be interested in how to remove the old decals without damaging paintwork.
I'll post some pics to give people a better idea of exactly what I'm talking about.

:cool: :cool: :cool:

Didn't know about Cyclomondo so cheers for flagging them up. Lloyds have a pretty sound reputation for hard-to-find transfers though.

David

David B":bxq30rr9 said:
Didn't know about Cyclomondo so cheers for flagging them up. Lloyds have a pretty sound reputation for hard-to-find transfers though.

David

Yup. Feedback I've had is that some of Lloyds decals are more accurate than Cyclomondo's, esp the Raleigh ones. However Cyclomondo stocks items Lloyds does not.

Actually, whilst I'm about it, it's not that retro a marque but does anyone know of a good UK source for Fort transfers? Lloyds don't carry them, whilst Helmut Berns at Sonic Cycles offers the down tube decals only but nothing for the head tube etc.

Thanks in advance for ideas.

David

David B":22emiuzb said:
Actually, whilst I'm about it, it's not that retro a marque but does anyone know of a good UK source for Fort transfers? Lloyds don't carry them, whilst Helmut Berns at Sonic Cycles offers the down tube decals only but nothing for the head tube etc.

Thanks in advance for ideas.

David

If you need something knocking up from scratch can recommend gil@cycleshed.co.uk , although he generally specializes more in mtb stuff.

For resprays I recommend Atlantic Boulevard in Bury - I've had 2 frames resprayed (Colnago & Gios) and both were excellent. Not cheap, but worth it for 'keepers'

This firm were recommended for decals by someone on the CTC Forum. I've only seen the website but they were said to be OK.

http://www.wanit.co.uk/

For respraying and repairs etc. I use Chris Marshall in Keighley as do a lot of the north's classic collectors. Many of the bikes on Classic Lightweights were resprayed by him. I'm collecting a frame from him tomorrow with decals from Lloyds.

For Holland

BCP - Professional piant shop that also has the skill and equipment for decal reproduction. Run by Brady v Dalen, brother of Jan (Duell)

Bikepaint - Professional paint shop

Leen Vrolijk - Private person who has been recommended to me for refinishing Zielemans and Prestos (drop me a line for contact details)

Vittorio - They build frames and also do the paint in house. They can do repaints only too.

RIH - refinishing of RIH Bustraan frames only

and there are probably more

Back