Dura Ace compatibility.

Stick Legs

Gold Trader
Feedback
View
I think I recall that Dura Ace from the early '90s was a different spacing from other shimano groupsets and therefore was not compatible, you could not upgrade little by little.

This is a shame because that is exactly what I want to do now, and as my wheels have Campagnolo Athena Hubs with a shimano spaced screw on maillard block is my recollection is true then I am stuck. :?

Anyone got any clues?

Cheers.

It's not the spacing it's the rear mech cable pull that differs from other shimano groupsets, IIRC the front mech cable pull is the same.

Upgrade the shifters and mechs at the same time and you should have little problem - assuming you are keeping the same amount of sprockets at the back of course.

I'm vague on road stuff.... but I believe one trick was to clamp the cable on the other side of the bolt to make it work.
They also at some point used different cassette splines, different diameter gear cable, different...

clamping the cable to the other side of bolt works to a fashion, but I could never get my set up to work smoothly up and down the block.
the sheldon brown web site has alot of info re the different versions and compatability (or lack) of for Dura Ace.

I have ear something about the compatibility.
But…
For the restoration of my kona heihei, I thought that a rear 1991 duraAce would fit nice on that bike. I changed the spring for an harder and all works fine on a 7s cassette. ;)

Latest posts

Back