Mid-life crisis bike

Mike

Retro Guru
Hi

As I'm rapidly approaching 40 I thought I'd 'surprise' myself by buying a road bike from 1970.

Ideally it would be a British, French or Italian bike from a well-known manufacturer, and preferably with some kind of significance beyond the manufacturing date. For example, I know Eddy Merckx won the 1970 TDF, but I can't find which brand of bike he rode (I'm guessing it wasn't a Merckx!).

Anybody got any suggestions for a bike (preferably one I'd be able to find for around £500 complete) that ticks my boxes?

Thanks on advance

Mike

Maybe one of the distinctive bright orange Holdsworths? Les West won the national pro title on one in 1970.

David

Eddy would have ridden something specially built for him, possibly by De Rosa, and branded Faema and then Eddy Merckx.

Why not look for a good British small builder's frame with period equipment. If you can get the frame, the fun is then in sourcing the fittings on here and e-bay, jumbles etc.

Of course, you may be lucky and drop on a complete bike.

Thanks guys. I was looking for a complete bike, because that seems like a better present than an ongoing hunt for elusive parts!

De Rosa and Holsworth sound like good places to start the search. There seem to be a lot of 80's and 90's bikes around, but early 70's bikes seem to be very thin on the ground.

A early 70's De Rosa, would be something very special. Only problem is,
you may have to double your budget.
What about a blue Gios Torino, and you could look like Roger De Vlaeminck, again pushing the budget, but you could be lucky.
Mike.....

mavesyn":32ykbzoi said:
A early 70's De Rosa, would be something very special. Only problem is, you may have to double your budget.

The one thing I've learned over the last 40 years is that price is usually the first compromise.

I'm starting to be drawn to a '70 De Rosa with Campy running gear.

Now, where to look?

The bay.....
maybe, London fixed gear forum, Hilary Stone has a odd De Rosa......
Or one of our Dutch friends on here, could maybe keep a look out for you.

Back