Wheels Woes

Harryburgundy

Gold Trader
Feedback
View
Well...the rear hub on my new toy felt rough, so I decided to investigate (mistake: I hate cup and cone and pawls and springs and stuff)
Got it all apart and detected a bit of pitting, but not much (I'm rushing this)
and also the bearings were quite dry.
Hey ho...onward....cleaned everything up and greased.
Popped the bearings in and then things go pear...somehow by putting the cassete on I knacker one of the pawl springs :x

So now the Q is this...bearing in mind the bit of pitting, and the spring, and my lack of patience...should I continue with these wheels or go for something else? Are they worth salvaging?

Late 90's Campag Record (I believe) on Mavic SUP CX30 rims.

And if I go for something else....recommondations?

Ta
Carl

I've heard of pawl spring repairs with springs from a pen.

Provided you can find some - the bearing races in loose-bearing Campag hubs are replaceable. Pawls and springs should be possible to find if you are lucky. If bearings in freewheel are shot - then it's a trickier job.

Another thing - you can grease most pre-98 campag hubs with a grease gun - loosen the grub bolt in the FH Body to find the greaseport and use the hole in the dustcaps. Don't use the hole in the middle of the hub.

I can't understand how you would affect the pawl springs merely by servicing the hub bearings? There shouldn't be any need to be anywhere near them.

Or are Campag totally different to Shimano?

Old Ned":3t5vy5oh said:
I can't understand how you would affect the pawl springs merely by servicing the hub bearings? There shouldn't be any need to be anywhere near them.

Or are Campag totally different to Shimano?

Erm...well...the way I pulled the rear apart the cassette came off very easily...can't see how you could service the cones and bearing otherwise...but then again I am a complete moron when it comes to hubs :oops: :LOL:

Wimped out and took the wheel to my LBS this morning who will phone campag on Tuesday to see if they can get pawl kits and bearing/races/cones etc still.

Back