Braze on cracked

spudgun

Senior Retro Guru
Feedback
View
not really retro but can you help, any sugestions?
P1010107.jpg

A framebuilder might be able to run-in some braze to effect a repair or will be able to sweat the old one off and braze on a new one. You'll need a partial respray too.

definitely, but I'd sooner do it by hand with saw, file and emery. A bit of over zealous grinding or a slip will easily eat into the frame

I don't think that's a worthwhile option, Spudgun. Too much work for the end result.

Might be worth drilling and pinning it, though.

Steve Kish":1c2ldre8 said:
I don't think that's a worthwhile option, Spudgun. Too much work for the end result.

How does that work then?

This happened to a Bianchi i once owned. It was fixed under warranty. Sent frame back to italy where they changed it to a band on mech hanger and a full frame respray :) Not sure how old your frame is though?

I'm a dab hand with a grinder and ground off the braze on from a Fort road frame quite successfully. Takes nerves of steel though as you could accidentally whip a thumb off in the process...

spudgun":2w86q0l3 said:
Steve Kish":2w86q0l3 said:

How does that work then?

Fabricate a small bracket of stainless steel to fit behind the crack and drill a small hole on the inside of the brazed bit next to the crack and through the s/s bracket. Rivet this on and then tension the brazing to close the gap. Then drill and rivet the outer bit of the brazed bit to the s/s bracket. File or Dremel down any excess.

With luck, this will prevent the brazed bit from opening up again and if not, you've done nothing to prevent you from cutting off the brazing and banding it.

Decided to amputate it
P1010112.jpg

almost there
P1010113.jpg

gone
P1010114.jpg

half an hour with the file and hopefully there :D
P1010115.jpg

I'm off to order a clamp on adapter,that was easy

Back