Dating Holdsworth - Serial No. Info ??

dvines

Dirt Disciple
Just wondering if anyone could help with dating my (possible) holdsworth.

Does ayone know how the Holdsworth frame numbering system went ?

You can see pics here...

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=36095

new info I have got by stripping off some paint is

Frame No. 553 on frame and on forks steerer.

I've looked onclasiclightweights Website and serial no. info there doesn't give much help.

Cyclo rear dropouts (not campag as I earlier thought), real Nervex Pro lugs it seems (nervex stamped on BB) , but early pattern with "horns" instead of fishtail on front, (these were pre-1955 I'm told) and no reinofrcing ring on the lug (possibly filed off by builder ?)

Front forks are def replacements as they have campag dropouts, so don't match the rear dropouts and the sloping crown is def more modern than the rest of the frame.

Cyclo dropouts I assume are early 50's ??

I am wondering if the frame is actually a Holdsworth as I would have thought their frame no's would be in the 1000's...

unless "specials" or the shop-made ones were numbered differnetly to the factory churned-out ones ?

or maybe another make resprayed by them ??

The allen-key seat and gbar-end gear cable guides on the front lugs would possibly be added later (same time as new forks ?)

The eqpt it came with was rubbishy 1970s japenese campag copies - so possibly same time as the frame was resprayed the vile yellow colour.

Back