Rear cable hanger solutions?

Perdy

Retro Newbie
I'm in the process of building myself a new bike and didn't pay enough attention when I bought my new frame (Peugeot Triathlon). I'm cannibalising my dad's old Raleigh, which has decent Weinmann centre pull calipers that I'm hoping to keep. My new tiny (short, bike-illiterate girl-sized) pug frame doesn't have the same cable bridge and mount set up as the Raleigh so it stumped me a bit. Apologies for likely use of wrong terminology.

I've looked at rear cable hangers but due to the size and configuration of the frame i'm not sure what to do...help please?

links/photos added

I think this is likely to be too long - http://reviews.wiggle.co.uk/7867-en_gb/ ... eviews.htm

And due to the integrated seat clamp i'm not sure that this will fit either -
http://www.jensonusa.com/store/product/ ... LUK&cc=GBP

SDC11111.jpg

SDC11118.jpg

SDC11115.jpg

The one from Jenson USA should work fine with the allen key fitting and I do hope you have the seatpost for that Pug as they are rather hard to source!

Thank you!

Yes, seat post came with the frame fortunately. It's well on its way now, some more parts on (more for safe storage).
1z1saj4.jpg

Sorry I'm a bit slow Perdy, you've got yourself a really lovely Pug frame there.

While I concur that the Jensen cable hanger will fit I have to say that the Weinmann centre pulls are pretty poor performers. They were all the rage in the 70s up to mid 80s, esp. with Raleigh, I used them myself but really gave no better, probably worse, braking than the Weinmann side pulls. The main reason I used them was that the side pulls were notorious for going off centre and hence one block would rub the rim. Modern side pulls are much much better, so unless you really have to have the Weinmann CPs off your dad's Raleigh don't waste any further $ on them. It also looks from your photo like your front one is marginal for block adjustment, just slightly too deep for the rim. If you really must have CPs, and appropriate for the Pug frame, get some Mafac Racers on ebay.

Since you say you're new to the bike scene, I recommend you do some reading from the late Sheldon Brown and ParkTool repair how-to's. Even though I've been building and fixing bikes for about 40 years there's still good stuff to learn there.

Also if you Google "barnett bicycle manual chapter centerpull brakes" and similar you'll find lots of interesting stuff to help you. Read read read, then give it a go!

Keep us posted on your progress please?

Henry in Oz

Ive used the weinemann centrepulls on a winterbike a few years ago and now have one on the front of a fixed whl machine. True, they are crap with the original brake blocks until you put MTB brake blocks on them, then theyre up there with the best in terms of stopping power

I have Dia Compe's Grand Compe centre pulls and find them very good, also I've had both Mafac and Weinman centre pulls without issue. As is said by others, good brake blocks makes a significant improvement ;)

Does anyone know where I can a rear cable hanger that mounts either side of the seat clamp, with room for a cable adjuster? no room inbetween the seatclamp on my Gazelle. Preferably from the UK.

Back