Cannondale skip find!

majoreyeswater

Retro Guru
Feedback
View
Hello all.

I have no idea if this is good, bad or indifferent as i'm a total road bike virgin :?

I normally take my daughter to school by car but this morning the sun was shining and it was nice and warm so we decided to walk. I've gone past a skip parked on a nearby road for weeks now but never thought to take a look - until this morning that is !

Low and behold and poking out from the back of the skip was a bright and shiny Cannaondale logo. After dropping of Molly at school I hurried back and had a closer look, thinking it was a MTB frame. No, a road bike ! OK, i'm not a roadie but i'd like it all the same. Knocked on the door of the property but no reply. So out came the Dale and I virtually ran home with it.

What do you think then ? Just given it a quick clean and it looks nice. A few scratches and a bit of rust on the steel bits. No cracks or dents and the paintwork is a bright red (looks a bit pink on the pics!). I think it's a large ish frame, about 22" from centre of bb to top of seat tube. Don't know what i'll do with it but please feel free to comment......... :cool:

P5050216.jpg

P5050217.jpg

P5050218.jpg

P5050219.jpg

P5050220.jpg

P5050221.jpg

P5050222.jpg

P5050223.jpg

P5050224.jpg

P5050225.jpg

P5050226.jpg

P5050227.jpg

P5050228.jpg

Know next to nothing about road bikes but the Magpie instinct was way too strong to resist :LOL:

Shag me sideways! Why on earth do people chuck stuff like that out? :shock:

Looks like it's been transplanted onto a new frame. Check carefully for cracks, just in case. ;)

Otherwise a nice find...come over to the dark side!

Looks like it's been transplanted onto a new frame. Check carefully for cracks, just in case.

Checked for cracks and I can't see anything. A few small touch ups on a couple of very small scratches but that's it :eek: The majority of marks seem to have been caused by lobbing it into the skip. I might try a bit of T-Cut and see what happens. It was near the top of all the crap so hadn't been crushed. What do you mean by transplanted onto a new frame mate ?

Why do some people not see the value in these things ? :shock:

great find,..NICE!

i am waiting for someone to throw his Yo eddy away in same condition as your Dale

It truly is amazing what people throw away these days. That's a great find. Echoing another posters thoughts might be best to get that checked for cracks and any other possible defects. Sometimes they are hard to see.

Good work though mate, I award you an 'another cool frame rescued from the crusher' badge :cool:

Oh, and if you split I'll take the bars :D

You're making me paranoid now folks :eek:

I've gone over the frame and checked all of the likely stress points for damage - top of seatpost, headtube, dropouts, bb housing, all welds - nothing ! The chainstays are straight, forks aren't bent, headset bearings seem fine. No signs of crash damage or repairs although I get the impression some of the paintwork may have been touched up. The decals are 99% ok and the frame has a good coating of lacquer :D

Just t-cut some of the minor grazes off and the forks came up lovely !

Chuffed or what :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

majoreyeswater":g7xk7kys said:
What do you mean by transplanted onto a new frame mate ?

Just that it's been stripped of all the running gear - so presumably (possibly?) fitted to a new frame.

Clearly someone who had an unloved bike would just lob the whole thing into the skip...at least the owner had taken the time to strip it, which makes you wonder why...

..as you can't find any cracks I guess he just wanted one of those fashionable plastic (sorry, Carbon) swoopy frames...and moved the groupset onto a new frame - or was stripping the bits to sell on ebay.

Back