Reynolds 753 Cougar built by Terry Dolan.

MarkinOz

Dirt Disciple
I recently acquired this early 90’s beauty that I’m “assuming” was built for Malcolm Elliott by Terry Dolan. I say “assuming” as dating wise I’m only going on the C-Record Groupset with the last Gen Delta’s and 1st Generation Ergo brifters.

I’d really like to get in contact with both Terry to see if I can squeeze any more history from him regarding the bike and Malcolm to see if the story of how the bike ended up in Sydney, Australia is validated with his version??

Has anyone had any communication with either of these guys with previous bike enquiries??

There’s not a big market in Cougar bikes down here so would be great to see some pictures here. I’m pretty chuffed to add this one to my meagre collection and looking forward to starting the restoration.

2D685A4C-42A3-400D-BE93-C458B98729F3.jpeg

D6DB6257-EB6F-4807-87F9-30522C8D9953.jpeg

C096490E-EDBE-4386-AA27-AF9F4711FCDC.jpeg

D6CB91E5-8248-4DD2-9101-168F71134124.jpeg

27F8E86C-6480-4710-8034-91BE3E59FBE4.jpeg

8F8680AB-666B-4F9E-9BEC-812241075994.jpeg

7283EBCE-AF17-448B-B931-37DF95FDF40D.jpeg

Re: Re:

foz":gjm7n50l said:
Nice find! Looks like there's a fair bit of work to do

Thanks! Yeah the forks will be the bulk of the issues, will clean them up and see if that’s enough or whether they’ll need to be rechromed. The components are all in pretty good condition but will be striped back and brought back to life. It’s amazing how well they respond to a little care and attention.

Malcolm did the Sun Tour in Australia in the Winters of `87 and `88 maybe its his old 88Fagor `MBK` resprayed ? , the spec is the same ( brifters excepted ) , one of his `87 ANC Peugeots was listed on ebay Australia a couple of years back for about $85000 AUD , obviously it costs money to fly a bike back and if you`re coming back to a new team and new bikes then maybe he sold it and left it over there whatever colours it originally had?

marshalllucky":2bs8eh19 said:
Malcolm did the Sun Tour in Australia in the Winters of `87 and `88 maybe its his old 88Fagor `MBK` resprayed ? , the spec is the same ( brifters excepted ) , one of his `87 ANC Peugeots was listed on ebay Australia a couple of years back for about $85000 AUD , obviously it costs money to fly a bike back and if you`re coming back to a new team and new bikes then maybe he sold it and left it over there whatever colours it originally had?

I’m pretty certain that it’s an original Cougar, but this is the exact reason why I’d like Terry and Malcolm to run there eye over the bike. For me, the history of these bikes is as important as restoring and riding them for me.

Received an Email from Terry Dolan the other day confirming the build and remarking that the colouring was inspired by Malcolm’s Pro team colours at Suer during the early 90’s. He thought that Malcolm might have raced this in the UK during that time also.

Still no luck with getting in contact with Malcolm to pick his brain. Tried Instagram, will try FB next. Anyone else have a contact to Malcolm Elliot??

Received a message from Malcolm Elliott saying that he gave this bike to Sydney bike builder/mechanic called Frank Conciecao who was charged with selling it for Malcolm. This was after Malcolm had ridden in the Bank Classic in NSW late 1993. Malcolm reckons that this is the bike he won the ‘93 British National Road Race on in June that year although he says the colour has changed as it was green fading into yellow as per his LA Sheriff Chevrolet jersey.
This would be the icing on the cake if true but struggling to find pictures of that colour scheme on a Cougar bike.

Re:

Is this Malcolm? Definitely green and yellow, and the decals look like cougar...

Attachments

• unnamed.jpg
    unnamed.jpg
    38.7 KB · Views: 99
Re: Re:

foz":2ruh9xem said:
Is this Malcolm? Definitely green and yellow, and the decals look like cougar...

Wow! That looks like the colouring Malcolm suggested. How did you find that?!! :shock: :D

Back