Retrobike Forum Index

It is currently Sun Mar 07, 2021 1:15 pm

* Login   * Register * Search  * FAQ

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2021 6:33 am 

What brands/models are good quality and hold up well over time? I really like the look of old Trek road bikes. Are they a good deal?

If it's a local bike and I can take a look at it, what are signs that there's something expensive to repair that I shouldn't purchase without a steep discount?

Any other thoughts?https://19216811.cam/ https://1921681001.id/

Last edited by thorabric95 on Wed Jan 27, 2021 5:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2021 10:25 am 
Old School Grand Master

It depends a lot on where you live. Treks are well-made but in the UK at least have zero following. As a result they can be a good deal - but there aren't that many around.

Ther are LOADs of old lightweight 531 frames about, typically a scruffy one needing paint will be upwards of £30. Many will have no transfers or paint covering them. If the frame is over 5lbs/2.3kgs walk away unless it's a huge size as it's nothing special.
Check for cracking around gear bosses, head tube and seat clamp.
Check for any bulge or rippling on the downtube below the head lug junction which would be from crash damage.
Beyond that, check no damage to rear dropouts, and tidy deep bottom bracket threads.
Ensure no rust perforation (typically of chainstays or bottom of seat tube). But superficial rust is fine and will be removed by blasting.
Ideally buy a frame with matching fork serial numbers.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2021 1:51 pm 
r.B.o.T.M. & P.o.T.M. Winner
r.B.o.T.M. & P.o.T.M. Winner

Can’t go wrong with Colnago & doesn’t matter where you live the are quality in so many peoples eyes worldwide.
Depends on your budget also....

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2021 4:35 pm 
Dirt Disciple

If you're going to go Trek or Specialized, I'd go early if you can. Used to work with a friend who really rated his very early Allez.

Hamsters's advice is pretty good. I'd go steel for sure. I've had an aluminiun Trek and a M2 Specialized, that both handled well, but were harsh rides. The M2 was probably designed for a time when most American Road Racing was Criteriums. It was great a fast cornering and accelerated very well, but you felt every bump.

Steel is more comfortable and if well made just as fast in my opinion.

I'd also go for something with at least mudguard eyelets and prefrably two bottle braze on's.

Post subject: Re: Vintage Bike
PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2021 4:49 pm 

Hi, How vintage do you fancy going? I do have a Dawes handbuilt Pioneer frame that seems quite light (I will weigh it and measure it if interested)
Looks all 'straight' and most paint (black) seems reasonable I was going to advertise it on Ebay for £15 and see what the response might be!
Cheers, bartholomew10