Does anyone know much about Harry Hall bikes?

Re:

Hi there,

Did you ever learn more about this frame? I have Harry Hall frame number 931 and it is very similar to yours as you might expect. I would love to know what year it was built. Let me know, thanks!

Re:

Just had a thought that the stock bikes Harry sold with a lamp boss on were called the “Elan” range?

Incidently other bits of publicity featuring HH was the record attempt, “22 Days around the Coast of Britain” by Nick Sanders, who did an entertaining photographic journal in a hardback book that was put together upon his return in1984. Harry had one of the bikes on display in his front window in Cathedral St for a few weeks there afterwards.

Harrys bikes that he used and for which Nick was sponsored for, appeared in that book too. You should find an old copy of that on Amazon or ebay.

Re:

I lent it to a guy who turned up at my running club a couple of years ago, he eventually bought it off me and had it restored.

Re:

At this rate with frame numbers coming to light (I can provide two), then someone could start to put together a listing and history of Harry’s bikes.

I dont think there is anything on the veteran cycle club website or archive at present. I know there are some others still around from years ago. In fact they had one on display in the current shop a few years ago.....history! No mine is still used and always has been but there you go.

Hi I recently acquired this Harry Hall , anyone know what year please
BB stamp revealed after removing the Vitus cable guide - AR1590 (looks like a 5 anyway? )
Some pics

Thanks .

Attachments

• 6214E884-FA80-4386-8490-6A93FC8B615D.jpeg
    6214E884-FA80-4386-8490-6A93FC8B615D.jpeg
    140 KB · Views: 146
  • 525FAF62-64B2-4D66-83D8-71864969DFAD.jpeg
    525FAF62-64B2-4D66-83D8-71864969DFAD.jpeg
    149.3 KB · Views: 145
  • 776635CA-1886-4A06-B753-A698B1D27063.jpeg
    776635CA-1886-4A06-B753-A698B1D27063.jpeg
    138.5 KB · Views: 146
  • 4A3567AD-70C0-4B81-BEF0-CF7625EB2DF1.jpeg
    4A3567AD-70C0-4B81-BEF0-CF7625EB2DF1.jpeg
    167.2 KB · Views: 145
  • B89BD493-50C6-4F15-B975-BA60181FB8F7.jpeg
    B89BD493-50C6-4F15-B975-BA60181FB8F7.jpeg
    160.9 KB · Views: 143
Beautiful. Not unlike my own that is still going strong.

I note yours has braze ons for a rack on the seat stays. Number wise I cant comment with the AR which may indicate who actually did the frame building for Harry on yours. Since I reckon they had around 50-100 frames a year built, then 1590 would probably put it as mid to late 1980s perhaps, but am prepared to be corrected. Yours seems to have lost its HH seat tube transfers and any Reynolds (or other tubing transfers on the seat tube and forks.

I believe Harry imported some frames from Italy as well as having some built by the likes of other framebuilders such as Woodrups and Bob Jacksons in Leeds. I do recall however an article once (cycling weekly??) on Harry’s set up on Cathedral Street and having a frame jig set up in the Corn Exchange buildings behind for limited use in one off builds and repairs. Does anyone recall that article?

I note yours also has the drain hole on the BB - at the time I was ordering mine, Harry was keen on ‘vented’ / ‘slotted’ BB shells to allow moisture out. I was more intent on keeping moisture out at this vulnerable spot and had elected to have a sealed bearing BB axle (Nadax - via RJ Chicken distributors). So there was me in my younger days telling a TdF mechanic how a bike should be! Still it has lasted thirty seven years maintenance free, so perhaps I had a point!

Oh and you might find the colour was described at the time as Grigio Grey. They did a gunmetal and also silver finishes too, myself having previously had one of the latter.

Nice one shreds ,
So mine was rattle canned in red which I’ve removed with stripper , and also the seat post was fused in tightly so I had to resort to heat treatment but yes it does look like some decals are missing ? It may reveal reynolds tubing once it back to bare metal ?
The BB hole was the rivet for cable guide . I’m not sure on a finish yet, but that’s a while off yet , Grigio grey
Sometimes these TDF mechanics need dropping down a peg or two anyway ;)

Re:

Ah yes the cable guide...something else I challenged Harry on.

Anyway, I didnt want a crappy plastic stud fixed cable guide that would be subject to crud, so insisted on a pair of braze ons for cable guides. Still there today perfectly serviceable and easily lubed. :mrgreen:

(Bet he was glad to get me out of the shop, (not really....good customer service......innumerable cups of tea and personal service by the man himself)...he obviously sensed I had money to spend and that is the mark of a good businessman. I was a quarter of my years salary lighter on leaving. (Divide that by 37 years and it was a bargain! ) :D

Or maybe I told him or he picked up on my accent, where I was from originally, before moving to Manchester. (Same area as Tom Simpson lived before he turned Pro. Harry was there on that tragic day in 1967 on Mt Ventoux during the TdF and knew Tom well, he even raced against him in amateur days).

Nuff said.

Back