headset guidance

Holiocornolio

Devout Dirtbag
So I got my frame back from the painters and now that I've finished swooning, I need to refocus on the task of assembling all the parts I need for my build.
The frame is a condor Barrachi in Reynolds 653, and so far I have gathered hubs and transmission parts from various iterations of Dura Ace 74xx series. The frameset came with a headset which I believe to be a Campagnolo record item, and whilst I was originally planning to reuse that part, with a freshly painted frame in hand and a clutch of DA parts, I'm starting to feel the pull of anal detailism, and feel like I ought really to use a Dura Ace headset. But I've not read good things about them. The campy headset is in what I would describe as excellent condition visually, and perfect condition functionally. so should I sell it and use the funds to buy a dura ace item, or am I being an idiot, and should i just use the perfectly decent headset that came with the frame?
Ultimately this is NOT going to be a full Dura Ace build, I've no intention of using a DA crankset or brakes, but I have developed this weird aesthetic prejudice that a campy headset will look 'wrong' on an otherwise 75% dura ace bike....

Stick with the Campag until you've changed everything else to DA - at which point it will justify the otherwise unjustifiable act of downgrading your headset.

If the headset had been a Corsa Record, of course, my advice would have been totally different: Sell it to me so that I can swap out my perfectly serviceable and lighter Stronglight B10, for aesthetic reasons...

I took photo from the gouged side because one corner has been spannered, but it's otherwise very nice. needs a clean up obvs

Hi there, I think your 'more likely' is correct,.
That shoulder on the upper cup is Chorus shaped.
The C-record is a single taper shape.
Caged bearing ball count will confirm.
20x3/16 Chorus,
25x5/32 C-record.
All Velobase.com information.

Thanks for the pic - and I appreciate that such a close up shot can be unforgiving. I'm thinking for my Tom Board I'll need one that has been polished by unicorns to justify the investment. What are the bearing surfaces like as a matter of interest?

Mind you, given that it says "Campagnolo" on it, you could put it on Ebay as "C Record Titanium era headset with fully authentic machined patina effects. Great value." and someone will give you a few hundred quid for it. Mad world. :)

531Man":3qavtoox said:
Hi there, I think your 'more likely' is correct,.
That shoulder on the upper cup is Chorus shaped.
The C-record is a single taper shape.
Caged bearing ball count will confirm.
20x3/16 Chorus,
25x5/32 C-record.
All Velobase.com information.

Many thanks - yep 20X 3/16 so chorus.

ZG862, fair point. Yeah it looks scruffy in the photo - a lot better in real life, but it's not C record after all, and definitely no unicorns have been near it in the recent past. Bearing faces are ok, in line with the exterior appearance (i.e. better than the picture shows).

Holiocornolio":2uo3lorl said:
ZG862, fair point. Yeah it looks scruffy in the photo - a lot better in real life, but it's not C record after all, and definitely no unicorns have been near it in the recent past. Bearing faces are ok, in line with the exterior appearance (i.e. better than the picture shows).

I apologise if my clumsy wording seemed to be a dig - it was not intended that way and I'm sure it's a damn fine headset. Mostly I was taking the opportunity to get on my soapbox about unscrupulous Ebay listings (35 quid for a tube of plastic bb sleeve in a manky old Campag bag??!!**).

I hope you decide to give it a little cosmetic fettling, some new grease and put it back on the bike - which is probably a reasonably good description of what I need in this miserable lockdown too.

Z

ZG862":49bgxe36 said:
Holiocornolio":49bgxe36 said:

I apologise if my clumsy wording seemed to be a dig - it was not intended that way and I'm sure it's a damn fine headset. Mostly I was taking the opportunity to get on my soapbox about unscrupulous Ebay listings (35 quid for a tube of plastic bb sleeve in a manky old Campag bag??!!**).

I hope you decide to give it a little cosmetic fettling, some new grease and put it back on the bike - which is probably a reasonably good description of what I need in this miserable lockdown too.

Z
No apology necessary. Actually you were incredibly diplomatic. I suspect that we are on the same page regarding unscrupulous ebayers. anyhow, it wasn;t my intention to turn this thread into a 'would like to trade' thread, genuinely looking for guidance. I think I will keep the headset. it's the last remaining component of the original gruppo, there's loads of life in it still and it deserves to be used. full DA be damned, this headset stays!!

Back