1948 Evelyn Hamilton

He is a pretty straight up guy from what I know so he should be able to say quickly.

Jamie

I Hope so.
We need to find out what is truth and what is fiction about her WW2 activities. And there is an awful lot of fiction involved.
How many books / films are there out there that are 'based on a true story'. Who was it coined : 'don't let the truth get in the way of a good story' ?

Its great to think that these old bike's survive all these years and somebody still wants to ride it and cherish it .

We a love our retro bikes for different reasons

I have contacted Kurmaskie with a list of questions regarding this matter and await a reply. I have also contacted someone who interviewed Evelyn Hamilton back in 1986 to see what he can recall also. When I get responses I will post the information on here.

Re:

A bit late to reply to this thread but I have just joined. I am Evelyn Hamilton's great nephew , last met her about a year before she died and my sister and I stayed with her as children in the 1970s. I have 2 Hamilton bikes and one frame. The bike I restored was very dented and I did the Dunwich dynamo on it in 2015 with a fixed 3 speed hub. I had only built it up on the same day and hadn't properly tested it. 120 miles unfit and with the fixed gears set a bit low.. I would have given up but I thought that would put me to shame given her exploits.. In retrospect, the frame and forks were probably not true/straight and it felt like it wanted to go round in circles..

Anyway if you're still on this forum and have a Hamilton, get in touch

Michael

Re:

Hi Michael
Welcome to the forum.
Sounds like a good ride to jump back into it.
I am sure there are a few of us that would love to hear more and see a few photos of the bikes.
Can always start a thread for them in the readers rides section.
All the best
Jamie

Good Evening
I also have one of her frames from ca 1949. We have no clear idea of who actually made the frames that she sold. I have been able to re create the original down tube decal that was in use at the time and I also have a number of advertisements from the time of her 1952 epic ride and also an article that followed an interview that she did in 1948. Sadly, in my opinion, the article did her reputation no good at all as it was full of statements that were patently untrue and even clearly indicated that she was not awarded the 'Cross of Lorraine' but the 'Free French medal'. Ms Hamilton is probably best remembered for her cycling exploits in my opinion. That she had connections in France and was possibly in Paris at the outbreak of war is quite likely but stories of parachuting 6 times into enemy territory, shooting gestapo agents, ferrying escaped airmen around Paris on the back of a tandem - I doubt it ! I did write to Mr Kurmaskie with the information that I had gleaned and a copy of the article that was published in the press in 1948 following the interview. Sadly, I have never received a response. I still think that this may be a case of the truth getting in the way of a good story.
Either way, hats off to a clearly very intrepid lady !! I will get my Hamilton restored eventually to something close to it's original specification.

Thanks for the information. I noticed there is a set of pictures on flikr of a 1949 path racer (posted in 2014) wondered if that could be the same bike?

Regarding Evelyn's exploits, the feeling amongst my mother and her siblings (her nieces and nephews) is to take a lot of her tales with a pinch of salt.. She was certainly a character and she liked attention. My mother's Dad was her brother, my mother's Mum was from a more austere background and apparently disapproved of her for giving up a potential career in nursing to explore her cycling interests. Mum (now 93) used to love visiting her in London as a kid as she got taken to Lyons tea houses and was allowed to paint her nails. My sister and I stayed with her in the 1970s in Swaffham when I was 6 and we liked it because we could get away with swearing and telling rude jokes (i'm still scared to swear in front of my Mum..) She was really good fun but the memories are distant. My Mum didn't really see her for much of her life, they were in different parts of the country, and I think Evelyn was often travelling.When I was 16, 5 friends and I did Lands End to John O Groats, my Mum said I should save up for a Claud Butler to do it on because Evelyn used to ride for him. I did (but of course they had been taken over by Holdsworthy then) I saw her a year or so before she died, she was in a residential home. My Auntie had come over from the USA and wanted to see her.She was very cheerful and surrounded by old press photos and cuttings, I have come into possession of these, being the relative that has always liked cycling. A lot of them are on flikr now (previously I put them on a now defunct web page and Mr Kumaskie has a lot of my scans on his site (I don't mind that as they are not my licensed pics)). I did also email him but got no reply. I don't think he is a film maker, just someone trying to generate the idea and funds of making a film.Certainly if anyone took all her exploits at face value it would be quite a slapstick movie, or a bit Tarantinoesque. I'm not desperate for the dry dissected truth to be out there either, I think reading between the lines we get a glimpse of her character and a bit of ambiguity is always more interesting.

When I get a moment I will post some pics and frame numbers on a new thread. I think the frame numbers of the 3 frames I own are 235, 531 and 1270

Best wishes

Michael

Thanks Michael
Makes really interesting reading. My frame carries numbers on the bottom bracket and forks : 444 and on the bottom bracket only : 626. I am reasonably certain that it dates from late 1949 / early 1950 based on the components that I think were original to it. It had already been re painted though and having had new decals originated which were copied from some originals, it is awaiting further re finishing. I have attached the January 1948 article that mentions the French Libre medal (not the Cross of Lorraine) and some of her exploits which are, frankly, hard to believe (particularly the bit about parachuting into France so many times). Have you any idea where her trophies, medals and the French Libre medal ended up ? I have included here a copy of the article. I also have scans of many adverts and articles from the cycling press from the 1950's if of interest
Steve

Attachments

• CYCLING 21.1.48.jpg
    CYCLING 21.1.48.jpg
    216.2 KB · Views: 159
Back