rBoTM Triple Crown
rBotM Winner
98+ BoTM Winner
Claud Butler Fan
VCC Claud Butler ME
Feedback
View
Morning Gentlemen, little advice required please with the following;

I’ve got some lovely sets of various Italian (fiamme, Nisi, Clement Albioni etc) 27” x 11/4” aluminium rims which don’t have beads to help “clinch” a tyre.
Now I’ve used Schwalbe 1 1/4” white wall K-guard tyres (recommended pressure 85psi) on chrome steel Dunlop rims without clincher beads at reasonable pressures (60-70 psi) but on these Ali rims they just won’t hold, at about 55-60 they start to “push off” or “hernia” . Anything less and I get a very squirmy uncomfortable ride risking bottoming out and pinch flats.

Can anyone recommend a stiffer tyre or any tips/tricks/cheats to get these tyres to stay on at a reasonable pressure?

Attachments

• C1D88163-3EAB-47DC-B17E-33FC211EC69F.jpeg
    C1D88163-3EAB-47DC-B17E-33FC211EC69F.jpeg
    161.5 KB · Views: 313
Re:

I encountered this years ago, albeit they were steel rims. I got rid, just couldn't find a satisfactory compromise

Re: Re:

pigman":1e8rme3m said:
I encountered this years ago, albeit they were steel rims. I got rid, just couldn't find a satisfactory compromise

Nooooooooo! :shock:

I got all excited when I saw a reply had popped up!.... :facepalm:

Something I have noticed is the Clement Albioni's have glue residue, so I'm wondering if sprint rim glue had been used? :?

Re:

In my defence that was early 80s when I was at uni. It wasn't retro then.
A combination of tyres blowing off and no braking in the wet and a decision to go 700c made me buy some lightweight alloys

Re:

Had the same problem with some old Weinmann rims when I tried to use some NOS Panaracer folders{i knew this was doomed to fail but gave them a go!} . Fitted some Continental ultra sports 27x1 1/4 which have a good wire bead and are a tight fit. They are only available in black . So far no issues and they roll well. Running at 80psi .I think Panaracer still do a beaded 27x1 1/4 .

I see that the Schwalbe 1 1/4” white wall K-guard tyres are wire beaded as well . I have no idea why they do not seat properly .Tyres used to be made by the 1000s for hook less rims ? What has changed .Did we all run round with under inflated tyres bitd .
Have manufacturing tolerances changed?

Are they just made a bit slacker these days, easier to get on the rim and the manufacturers comfortable knowing that it doesn’t matter because the bead will hold it on the rim?

Jonny69":362l1kfg said:
Are they just made a bit slacker these days, easier to get on the rim and the manufacturers comfortable knowing that it doesn’t matter because the bead will hold it on the rim?

Not sure... I have some very nice NOS Michelin’s from the 80’s and they only work well on a beaded clincher....

As for the other link, I’ve tried all of them except the Kenda.... my Panaracers seem to do the best so I’m going to try them with some sprint rim glue, pump them up to about 20/30psi, bring them into the warm for a week to dry off then try a higher pressure... nothing to lose.

Back