Bob Jackson to close after all

Re: Bob Jackson not closing after all! Hurrah!

greencat":2u75zzvf said:
I just think it's interesting the turnaround from "It's come to the end of its natural life because we all want to retire and can't find young people to take it on" to "Scratch that, it's business as usual because we've got lots of investment & support".
Seen similar in another business, old guys can't be bothered to do the job *and* run the business *and* answer the phone *and* Keep the website up to date *and* deal with purchase/sales/billing/taxes.

Someone buys/invests, let's the old guys get on with the fun stuff that they're good at, either runs the rest of the business for them, or gets someone/couple of someones to administrate.

TBH, once they're back to just building frames, do they even need to work full time? 2/3 days a week building frames, drinking tea, maybe a phonecall or two to discuss geometry with a customer. Nice work if you can get it. (Or even training up a couple of new frame builders)

Re:

Well, this is a turn-up for the books! :xmas-big-grin:

I took my Bob Jackson in for a repair the other week, panicked at the thought that unless I acted fast I wouldn’t get the frame repaired by the original builders. At the time Donald couldn’t promise to re-paint in the time left but would replace the damaged top-tube (actually, wasn’t that keen to accept it because of the avalanche of work that had come in). He pointed out the guys across the road surveying the building for the conversion work while I was there but, whatever, like everyone else just relieved that they will continue for a while longer.

As a reminder of the quality of their bike-building and paint jobs here’s a detail of my BJ 731os after it’s last refurbishment -

Attachments

• P1010366.JPG
    P1010366.JPG
    89.1 KB · Views: 627

RobLoasby":dszjrjod said:
Bullpup":dszjrjod said:
Ineos Bob Jackson...?

As long as it isn’t Mike Ashley’s Bob Jackson.
Looks like Mike is about to have a COVID shaped shot across the bows........

mattr":1vrqcatg said:
RobLoasby":1vrqcatg said:
Bullpup":1vrqcatg said:
Ineos Bob Jackson...?

As long as it isn’t Mike Ashley’s Bob Jackson.
Looks like Mike is about to have a COVID shaped shot across the bows........

After what he did to the Karrimor brand, couldn’t happen to a nicer bloke.

I found out yesterday, but I didn’t want to post anything till I’d actually spoken to Donald. Bob Jackson’s is closing.

I popped by this morning to collect a frame I’d dropped off before Christmas for a respray & Donald confirmed that at the very last minute even with all the financials in place, the actual guy who was supposed to have taken over running the business should have started this week. He didn’t, it’s over.

A sad day for Yorkshire bike building.

I wonder what Tony Woodrup has in mind for the brand now?

Attachments

• 8C48BD76-781C-494E-89A9-35795C0DDD5D.jpeg
    8C48BD76-781C-494E-89A9-35795C0DDD5D.jpeg
    157.4 KB · Views: 404
Re: Re:

Broady":3vq8w5au said:
Sad to hear, assumed everything was sorted.

Apparently it was, full order book, loads of frames in for work (inc one of mine with 2 more to follow)

The lads there are gutted... now Donald’s got his hands full issuing re-funds and returning frames..

Peachy!":6o2cj27m said:
….. I wonder what Tony Woodrup has in mind for the brand now?
I didn't know there was a link between Woodrup & BJ ?? Has Woodrup bought the BJ name?

Back