Bob Jackson to close after all

Re: Bob Jackson possibly closing down? I hope not...

Bit of a turnaround. Makes me wonder if someone was playing chicken.

greencat":1h5upi01 said:

I'd be surprised.... having talked to & done business with Donald face to face on a number of occasions, I really don't think anything suspicious has gone on.

Whatever, its great news that a British frame builder has lived to fight another day.. how it's happened is their business. :xmas-big-grin:

Peachy!":bzznvao3 said:
greencat":bzznvao3 said:

I'd be surprised.... having talked to & done business with Donald face to face on a number of occasions, I really don't think anything suspicious has gone on.

Whatever, its great news that a British frame builder has lived to fight another day.. how it's happened is their business. :xmas-big-grin:

I was more thinking about someone like a landlord was putting the squeeze on...

Re: Bob Jackson not closing after all! Hurrah!

Definitely great news all round.
I don't think anything untoward happened I just think maybe someone stepped in with a bit of support and business planning that took away the pressure.
Some good news for once for 2020 :)

Jamie

greencat":16om92d0 said:
Peachy!":16om92d0 said:
greencat":16om92d0 said:

I was more thinking about someone like a landlord was putting the squeeze on...

Ah I see.. but no, not in this case as they own their own building plus all the shops with sitting tenants underneath them.

Now that’s a thought, it would be great if they had enough investment to open the corner shop again as the show room....

So is it a new owner? More info would be nice.....

That's good news. Looks like the current workforce will have to postpone their retirements after all!
I'm surprised they're hoping to stay on in the existing premises seeing as they sold it according to earlier information.
Perhaps the the new owners are happy to rent the space back to them. Doing a "sell and lease back" transaction is a good way of raising capital so perhaps that was the source of the investment their new announcement refers to. The worst case scenario is that a third party has pumped some serious money into the firm and will bump up the prices to get back a return on their investment. Let's hope they more or less stay as they are and don't become a "lifestyle" brand.

I'll certainly be putting some work their way in December.

Mark.

I just think it's interesting the turnaround from "It's come to the end of its natural life because we all want to retire and can't find young people to take it on" to "Scratch that, it's business as usual because we've got lots of investment & support".

Presumably, the reason given for closure has not gone away. But well done to whomever recognised it was worth keeping going.

Would love to see the shop re-open again as I always loved popping in to see the various customer projects they were working on. My favourite was a mountain bike frame from the 80s - complete with 531 forks (might have been a Saracen) beautifully spruced up with modern XT groupset etc. Sadly distance means I would be unlikely to visit it myself though.

I was just reading through this thread thinking about ways of community sourcing a takeover. Glad it doesn't need to happen!

I have had a number of paint jobs done at Bob Jacksons over the years and it would have been a crying shame to see the name gone from my home city. My dad used Bob Jacksons cycles long before I was ever on the scene!

Latest posts

Back