NEW TI RALEIGH 753 40TH TDF ANNIVERSARY MODEL

Status
Not open for further replies.
bagpuss":13wnithe said:
Woz":13wnithe said:
....why I'm still tuning to this thread I will never know. Perhaps because it is sooooo bizarre.

Well I have nowt else to do . Layed up with a, as yet unknown bug , going for a blood test next week . No riding for the last 2 weeks :cry:

It makes for light hearted reading {Twaddle on my behalf} + its going to be a longggggggggg November :evil:

Well, wish you all the best!

I'm already in lockdown, got a massive stash of wine which I'm not rationing properly, so that's my excuse for posting
poorly related bollox on this thread :LOL:

Will try to compare geometry of a 1980s Raleigh Silhouette with the 40th Anniversary later in the week, so stay tuned because it will be shock and horror never seen before.

Woz":1z3b4o5m said:
Yeah. I'm all for retro, retro-mod, modern-retro, but this just seems placed wrong in a very awkward in between. This thread
suggests it's upset the purist fanatic down to decal level (?!?!) to those who think it's just not a reasonable price tag for a bike / F&F set.

Personally think it would have been better to say a "A 40th TdF Tribute Bike" with the classic Raleigh paint job, 1 1/8" threadless fork, 135mm rear spacing, clipless, STIs, good tyre clearance, and not be shy about a sloping top-tube and try to make it a modern classic.

Hell, Kona, Surely and Planet-X to name just a few have been successful at turning out modern retro looking steel with a resonable price tag. The 753 was not a bad idea, but let's be honest, there is other decent steel out there too plenty good enough for it's intended purpose.

If they actually tapped into the current state of cycling, ie. a mode of transport or exploring your immediate surroundings during a global pandemic then it would have had a large appeal, looked good, and was practical. Instead trying to re-create a 40 year old race bike that nobody will race, nor be able to show off at a cafe or club-run is a bit of a blunder to say the least.
good summary.

I'm tuning in because
A. I'm interested in what an owner of the new bike thinks
B. The entertainment value in the wriggling and absolute denial that there has been a cockup
C. The entertainment from the sarcasm/comedy that the odd post throws up. LGF's replacement spirit level bubble post made me chuckle

Re:

I just want to know exactly what the cockup is ??.... there's been a lot of talk about this and that isn't like the original, Raleigh never used the word exactly in any of its marketing... the word basically was used... there's a massive difference.

Re: Re:

vcballbat":2abskbm3 said:
I just want to know exactly what the cockup is ??.... there's been a lot of talk about this and that isn't like the original, Raleigh never used the word exactly in any of its marketing... the word basically was used... there's a massive difference.
and the word basically is an important one. A sloping top tube means its radically different, not basically the same - it doesnt even resemble the 80s, as sloping tubes were only introduced around the turn of the century. The only basic similarities are 753 and the colour scheme

Imagine producing a replica sports car and sticking a fiesta front end on it and saying Yup, its the same, you cant tell, its a minor difference.

Re:

Surely anyone who bought one and doesn't want it can just keep it a few months and sell it on at minimal loss, or maybe even a profit.

Besides, it seems to me that those who have bought it have several bikes so they should just chalk it up to experience and move on. Worse things are happening in the world lads. But I'm only riding lightweights for 41 years so what would I know.

Rapparee87":3hmcgefv said:
Surely anyone who bought one and doesn't want it can just keep it a few months and sell it on at minimal loss, or maybe even a profit.
you reckon? It seems Raleigh cant shift the new ones
Besides, it seems to me that those who have bought it have several bikes so they should just chalk it up to experience and move
. Ultimate, yes that will be the outcome, but £1500 is a hard pill to swallow, unless youre very affluent.
Worse things are happening in the world lads
yes, but do we in our lives stop discussing football, who will win the vuelta, what colour to paint the spare bedroom etc, etc. We cannot shut the world down and think about the pandemic disaster only. Remember this thread is a discussion only, no one has fallen out, its not a war zone

pigman":2olx61mz said:
vcballbat":2olx61mz said:
and the word basically is an important one. A sloping top tube means its radically different, not basically the same - it doesnt even resemble the 80s, as sloping tubes were only introduced around the turn of the century. The only basic similarities are 753 and the colour scheme

Imagine producing a replica sports car and sticking a fiesta front end on it and saying Yup, its the same, you cant tell, its a minor difference.
I don't think a slight incline on the top tube could be regarded as radical and was perfectly clear in the marketing. Fortunately Raleigh state that the bike is Red on the website...so that's a relief... :)

"you can relive the victory of the 1980 Tour de France in comfort and the iconic red Reynolds 753 frame tubing will ensure you stand out in any crowd"

Attachments

• 42a1a058c4529106a46f10062c11665c.jpg
    42a1a058c4529106a46f10062c11665c.jpg
    281.4 KB · Views: 1,381
  • 2374fd9221d03b30413bac88a9819f95.jpg
    2374fd9221d03b30413bac88a9819f95.jpg
    114.1 KB · Views: 1,381
Re:

This one is going to be for sale if anyone wants one. It’s a 56 and number 195. PM me if interested. A complete unridden bike and I’d take less than the Raleigh price for a new bike

Attachments

• 351125EB-0569-42EB-BEBC-E4C861D2EA7D.jpeg
    351125EB-0569-42EB-BEBC-E4C861D2EA7D.jpeg
    230.1 KB · Views: 1,314
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back