Indexing with a Huret Jubilee

Jonny69

Senior Retro Guru
Is any kind of indexing basically out of the question with a drillium Huret Jubilee rear derailleur? I think I've ascertained that the cable pull is different to Shimano and Campag - much smaller - but I can't find out by how much. Does anyone know any dodges like using a 7-, 8-, 9- or 10-speed shifter to index close enough to a freewheel with fewer speeds, e.g. use 6 clicks of a 9-speed Shimano shifter and it'll index with a 6-speed block?

Don't know what the cable pull is on a Huret set, but posting these ones here for reference: http://blog.artscyclery.com/science-beh ... atibility/

It's from long before indexing.
Frankly indexing is pretty much a waste of time on anything up to 7 speed - there is enough leeway for it to shift a single gear, with a little nudge maybe afterwards to tune things. I run bar-ends off road on a drop bar MTB and have switched the indexing off.

hamster":9dgd304p said:
Frankly indexing is pretty much a waste of time on anything up to 7 speed

See, I don't agree with that. I commuted and raced with indexed 6-speed downtube shifters for years and I found it amazing compared to friction. It's just one less thing you need to think about when you're trying to shift, pedal, grab for a brake, avoid a pot hole and watch out what the cars in front and next to you are doing all at the same time. Reach down / click / done.

Fair enough, different strokes for different folks. The amount of gear lever travel for 7 speed is so HUGE that it never seems to matter to me.

I guess its a matter of trying some out ? the other thing is that if the set up is not linear (how the mech moves) then the travel of the mech will differ for each click.

Re:

Indexing at any speed is helpful, useful and promotes better use of gears.
These gears are in the pre-indexing era, but you may find something that will work.
The downside is you may have try every indexed lever ever made to drop on one combination that will work. Not only will you have to acquire and fit all those levers, but you'll have to cable them up and let them bed in before you can draw a conclusion. Then add in possible hubbub conversions and you have a lifelong project

Re:

Remember seeing this on readers bikes maybe a year ago or more but I can find the original post but remember that the setup worked. :D

Attachments

• 22221932056_d211d7ab86_b.jpg
    22221932056_d211d7ab86_b.jpg
    221.3 KB · Views: 414
Re: Re:

vcballbat":2jbq9q3u said:
Remember seeing this on readers bikes maybe a year ago or more but I can find the original post but remember that the setup worked. :D

Awesome, found it :cool:

viewtopic.php?f=23&t=349836

Ok so that looks like SRAM 10-speed indexes to 9 cogs of a Shimano 11-speed. 9 cogs of an 11-speed is about the same width of a 7-speed so that makes sense regarding the derailleur limit. From that, I can probably work out the original cable pull and derailleur ratio, since I know what the SRAM cable pull is and the 11-speed spacing. Will have to do some maths with the Arts Cyclery blog and see if anything will work with any of the Shimano DT shifters.

Re:

Excellent, glad you found it....on my Ribble 531 competition I'm running 10 speed Dura-Ace DT shifters with a 9 speed Dura-Ace rear mech, SRAM Red front mech, 8 speed Shimano cassette 12-26 (cheap n' cheerful) and Campagnolo Record Carbon Cranks 53-39 mix n' match setup. :D
Oh..I have a Jubilee rear mech that is not on a bike yet..it's a minimalist thing of beauty...It's so cool, i just like looking at it. :cool:

Re: Re:

Jonny69":zjb35iz5 said:
Ok so that looks like SRAM 10-speed indexes to 9 cogs of a Shimano 11-speed. 9 cogs of an 11-speed is about the same width of a 7-speed so that makes sense regarding the derailleur limit. From that, I can probably work out the original cable pull and derailleur ratio, since I know what the SRAM cable pull is and the 11-speed spacing. Will have to do some maths with the Arts Cyclery blog and see if anything will work with any of the Shimano DT shifters.

SRAM pulls loads more cable per click than Shimano - but you should be able to fix it with some flavour of JTek Shiftmate.

Back