Tower Cycles Birmingham head badge decal help...

sjcprojects

Orange 🍊 Fan
I'm in the process of building up (very slowly...) an Alan Richards frame (http://www.retrobike.co.uk/forum/viewto ... p;t=416237) and I need to make a custom decal for the head tube. I can create it myself and get it done as a custom one from H Lloyd, but as the photo below shows, I've not got loads to go on - so I'm hoping someone on here might have an image of this badge style I can actually use, without me resorting to guess work?

It's different from the usual Alan Richards head badge that H Lloyd stocks, and I can't find a single image of the same design as this on the internet anywhere...

Attachments

• Screenshot 2020-09-22 at 16.26.27.png
    Screenshot 2020-09-22 at 16.26.27.png
    210.9 KB · Views: 862
Nob":2wfugxc4 said:
Try an Alan Richards search

I have tried that too, thanks. There's not much out there, certainly not image-wise. The only bikes I can find have the same head badges as the one H Lloyd stocks, which obviously was the most common.

I always knew it would be a long shot, and I think I will have to end up using some guesswork, but at least I can do it myself.

sjcprojects":3n47aqgc said:
Nob":3n47aqgc said:
Try an Alan Richards search

I always knew it would be a long shot, and I think I will have to end up using some guesswork, but at least I can do it myself.

Sounds like a plan :)

Re:

May throw a spanner in the works but here is another style... Not on the H Lloyd website. This would be easy to replicate in inkscape or Photoshop/illustrator, but maybe older style than the one you want.

8.jpg

Re: Re:

otherself":64d3yxdd said:
May throw a spanner in the works but here is another style... Not on the H Lloyd website. This would be easy to replicate in inkscape or Photoshop/illustrator, but maybe older style than the one you want.

It's interesting to see that version up close. I know that style was used until at least the mid-70s. It seems like the style I have is in-between that and the more common one - as time went on, the reference to Tower Cycles went completely and Alan just used his name, from what I can tell.

Out of interest, does your frame have 'Tower Cycles' or 'Alan Richards' on the downtubes?

Anyway, my build is going to be more of a restoration job now. It was going to be odds and ends going on it, but that doesn't quite seem right given the quality of the frame.

Re: Re:

sjcprojects":32q7kv61 said:
otherself":32q7kv61 said:

It's interesting to see that version up close. I know that style was used until at least the mid-70s. It seems like the style I have is in-between that and the more common one - as time went on, the reference to Tower Cycles went completely and Alan just used his name, from what I can tell.

Out of interest, does your frame have 'Tower Cycles' or 'Alan Richards' on the downtubes?

Anyway, my build is going to be more of a restoration job now. It was going to be odds and ends going on it, but that doesn't quite seem right given the quality of the frame.

It's not my frame but it had Alan Richards on the DT.

https://majornichols.co.uk/reform-stree ... nt-taylor/

Pity I didn’t keep my dad's photos/negatives as, if Ant Taylor was riding Alan Richards’ bikes, he took quite a few photos of him at various TTs.

Well, this is my attempt at the head badge. Looks OK, though there is a fair bit of guess work involved...

Attachments

• Screenshot 2020-10-17 at 10.02.18.png
    Screenshot 2020-10-17 at 10.02.18.png
    26.4 KB · Views: 617
Back