Mercian frame numbers

On close inspection the plastic cable guide has a Raleigh logo on it. I am thinking about drilling out the rivet to reveal the frame number.
My best guess is that this bike was originally sold as a bare frame some time in the early 80's and kitted out by the local bike shop with
Campag parts etc and it may be that the earlier rear mech was supplied at that time. I understand that the Spidal gear shifters came into 'fashion'
around about then being a superior design to the Campag items

My Mercian (a 1956) had its serial number stamped on the left rear dropout, and a matching number on the steerer. The format was two digits for the year, then three more digits - though apparently the format could vary.

Re:

Initial problem solved !

I drilled out the rivet securing the b/b cable guide and found the number underneath.

It is number 54679 which makes it a 1979 frame.

I will contact Mercian with this number to see what information they can give me

Re:

If the last two digits represent the year, can someone help explain this number "0526" frame number on a Mercian?

Can't be 1926?

Pictures below to help... hopefully

Attachments

• frame_number.jpg
    frame_number.jpg
    634.3 KB · Views: 419
Re: Re:

dyslexic_idoit":2cy7us9d said:
If the last two digits represent the year, can someone help explain this number "0526" frame number on a Mercian?

Can't be 1926?

Pictures below to help... hopefully

0526 would mean it was the 526th frame to be built that calender year.

My Mercian is 012696 so it would indicate fairly early 1996 (they make about 25-30 frames a week as far as I know)

https://www.flickr.com/photos/otherself ... ateposted/

I'm a child of the 70's and that frame looks older than that with the design, seat clip, dropouts etc. 1940's and 1950's perhaps. Maybe their frame numbering was different then? I'd ask Mercian

Back