Proper Barn Find

Re:

You're probably already aware of this but WD40 isn't a very good penetrant. A good quality, proper penetrating oil such as Penol may give better results, or the old homemade favorite was always a 50/50 mix of ATF and Acetone in a squirty bottle. Works wonders compared to WD40 and a lot cheaper too.

Please take care when combining various penetrating fluids and their propellants with naked flames there is potential for unwanted flame-thrower effects. I would hate for you to singe your eyebrows and find yourself explaining to the A&E department that "some bloke on RetroBike said I should..."

Basically, don't spray from a can into a naked flame etc. Do keep something handy to extinguish flame. Do protect your eyes & skin appropriately for the substances being used. Nanny, out. :)

Re:

Ditch the WD40 - get a can of PlusGas. Proper penetrating oil. Has worked wonders for me in the past.

Lovely looking project btw - love seeing bikes like this being saved.

Well ordered the +Gas and a freeze kit then went out to take off the head badge and try a better set up. Badge off ok and looks like brass one although silver on the back. Found some decent paintwork at last. While it was set up I thought I'd have another go and with a loud crack I go some movement, assuming nothing broken!. I can more it up to about 45 deg with some effort. More soaking now I think and may be with +Gas once here.

Attachments

• badge.JPG
    badge.JPG
    24.9 KB · Views: 492
  • set up.JPG
    set up.JPG
    66.9 KB · Views: 492
  • Movment.JPG
    Movment.JPG
    38.4 KB · Views: 489
  • More.JPG
    More.JPG
    32.4 KB · Views: 492
Re:

That colour under the head badge looks nice.
Great result with the stem, just a case of working away at it and hopefully the +gas will make short work of it.
Jamie

Still hanging on! got about half a turn on it, but no sign of coming out. Time to open the freeze kit i think

Attachments

• Capture.JPG
    Capture.JPG
    39 KB · Views: 396
Evening David,
You’ve probably already got this worked out, but just in case this a new thing for you, gentle build up heat to the fork steerer so that the heat has traveled down the fork tube. When it’s as hot as you can get it, squirt that freezer kit down into the aluminium stem, then twist/hit it as hard as you dare... sorry if that’s teaching you to suck eggs... ;) :LOL:

Back