Retro Triathlon Bikes ??????????????????????????????????????

I guess mostly the longer events, half and full ironmanish.

The mate in question ^^^^ actually used to do a self measured 70.3 tri as his evenings training once or twice a month. Ride the few hundred meters down to the river (private jetty) swim, ride the road distance as a loop finishing back at home, then do the run loop from home.

Then sling the bike in the basement for a week to fester......

My time trial bike from early 2000s up to 2016, when I stopped racing, was a Corima Fox, which was actually designed primarily as a triathlon bike. Obviously the bike itself was short lived as a production bike, as the UCI banned these sort of bikes.
However, it was popular as a tri bike; most of them were made for 26" wheels, but mine being more of a TT bike was designed for 27" (700C) wheels and I understand it is extremely rare.
The bike did achieve major sucess; most noteable was French rider Catherine Marsal, who broke the world hour record on a track version of the Fox.
It was a bike produced in a very exciting time for cycling, when you consider the bikes that were coming out at the time; from the Zipp 2001, Lotus 110, Giant MCR etc. When the UCI banned these bikes it all became a bit boring.
I still have the Fox, built up for more road riding, with little changes such as a tiny 53T chainring. Well it is, compared to the dinner plate 58T I raced on. Lots of good memories, such as recording my '19' minute 10s before everyone headed for the wind tunnel :)

Attachments

• 120406-City RC-195-web.jpg
    120406-City RC-195-web.jpg
    29.5 KB · Views: 1,148
SimonJC":1hghuak7 said:
My time trial bike from early 2000s up to 2016, when I stopped racing, was a Corima Fox, which was actually designed primarily as a triathlon bike. Obviously the bike itself was short lived as a production bike, as the UCI banned these sort of bikes.
However, it was popular as a tri bike; most of them were made for 26" wheels, but mine being more of a TT bike was designed for 27" (700C) wheels and I understand it is extremely rare.
The bike did achieve major sucess; most noteable was French rider Catherine Marsal, who broke the world hour record on a track version of the Fox.
It was a bike produced in a very exciting time for cycling, when you consider the bikes that were coming out at the time; from the Zipp 2001, Lotus 110, Giant MCR etc. When the UCI banned these bikes it all became a bit boring.
I still have the Fox, built up for more road riding, with little changes such as a tiny 53T chainring. Well it is, compared to the dinner plate 58T I raced on. Lots of good memories, such as recording my '19' minute 10s before everyone headed for the wind tunnel :)
If there was a ‘like’ button I would be liking this post. Thank you.

SimonJC":g50ik2it said:
Your photo name says city rc, so I presume it's on that fast A road Hull course that goes under the Humber bridge.
I can remember travelling home from hull in the car by on a rainy Saturday afternoon and I've never been so scared for cyclists. The 2 lane road really isn't that wide and the number of artics leaving hull docks makes it quite hazardous. Visibility was poor and every time a cyclist came into view I was hoping that he'd been spotted.
I left with 2 views - the use of uber dangerous roads in the pursuit of fast times should be abolished - no one should risk their lives for a club event and I now ride with a led back light, cos those who had them that day stood out much more than those who didn't

Sorry if it grates, my personal opinion

pigman":1cxhesk7 said:
SimonJC":1cxhesk7 said:
Your photo name says city rc, so I presume it's on that fast A road Hull course that goes under the Humber bridge.
I can remember travelling home from hull in the car by on a rainy Saturday afternoon and I've never been so scared for cyclists. The 2 lane road really isn't that wide and the number of artics leaving hull docks makes it quite hazardous. Visibility was poor and every time a cyclist came into view I was hoping that he'd been spotted.
I left with 2 views - the use of uber dangerous roads in the pursuit of fast times should be abolished - no one should risk their lives for a club event and I now ride with a led back light, cos those who had them that day stood out much more than those who didn't

If you are on about the famed V718 10 course this was banned a couple years ago & is no longer used to race on for traffic count reasons

Nob":ju852em8 said:
pigman":ju852em8 said:
SimonJC":ju852em8 said:

If you are on about the famed V718 10 course this was banned a couple years ago & is no longer used to race on for traffic count reasons

Yes this was on the A63, the V718 course. Without wanting to go down the route of debating the safety of various courses, I will say a couple of things. You mention that when you traveled on the road it was raining; in my experience, when it rains, these events get cancelled due to visibility issues; this certainly became the norm from around 2012 onwards. Secondly, I would like to say that I personally found that races taking place on country roads to be far more dangerous; you have tractors, horse riders, cars driving in a lot of cases slower than cyclists. On quite a few events local to me on hilly courses, you would have sections going through quiet villages; anything with a downhill stretch could see cyclists easily going over 30mph, which is really dangerous. In the years I raced, I rode on a variety of courses, from dual carriageways to country roads, and by far the most accidents happened on country roads.
All being said, I feel that the future of time trials in this country is going towards events on fully closed circuits, such as motor racing circuits; we have a regular series of racing on Croft near me - and events such as the Tour of Cambridge.
I think if I was racing now I would be doing track anyway :)

SimonJC":2yj2ft85 said:

Incredibly cool bike and great story (and photo!) - thanks for sharing. I love the creativity in design of the early 90s-pre Lugano Charter era bikes and 2000s tt/tri bikes like yours. So many exciting ideas and shapes were being experimented with, it makes the contemporary crop look super bland by comparison.

A Zipp 2001/3001 is top of my list to add to the stable.. so if anyone has one gathering dust, drop me a line! ;)

zerogravitas":3nkixxyq said:
SimonJC":3nkixxyq said:

Incredibly cool bike and great story (and photo!) - thanks for sharing. I love the creativity in design of the early 90s-pre Lugano Charter era bikes and 2000s tt/tri bikes like yours. So many exciting ideas and shapes were being experimented with, it makes the contemporary crop look super bland by comparison.

A Zipp 2001/3001 is top of my list to add to the stable.. so if anyone has one gathering dust, drop me a line! ;)

Liking the love for the 90s aero bikes!

There actually is a Zipp 3001 for sale on Ebay at the moment:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Zipp-3001-fr ... Swwf9alUBg

Apparently it is a limited edition; in a funny way, I might have imagined that they made less than 100 in total of these frames!
Linked to the Zipp, the first crankset I installed onto the Corima was a Zipp CA380 carbon crank, which was the very first ever carbon crank sold to the public in the world; they only made something like 200 of these, and most of them failed at some point; mine somehow survived, I ended up selling them to a user on this forum. They were actually very aero in shape; the right crank looked like a table tennis bat!

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
Amazing cranks! And very rare as you say, a perfect complement to bikes of the era.

I've seen that Zipp (and the couple of others with £3000+ price tags). Whilst my love for old carbon is strong and I know the 3001 is rarer I think these people are living in a fantasy world if they think anyone is going to pay anywhere near their asking prices!

SimonJC":u4153a7h said:
zerogravitas":u4153a7h said:
SimonJC":u4153a7h said:

Liking the love for the 90s aero bikes!

There actually is a Zipp 3001 for sale on Ebay at the moment:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Zipp-3001-fr ... Swwf9alUBg

Apparently it is a limited edition; in a funny way, I might have imagined that they made less than 100 in total of these frames!
Linked to the Zipp, the first crankset I installed onto the Corima was a Zipp CA380 carbon crank, which was the very first ever carbon crank sold to the public in the world; they only made something like 200 of these, and most of them failed at some point; mine somehow survived, I ended up selling them to a user on this forum. They were actually very aero in shape; the right crank looked like a table tennis bat!

Here you go

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
Back