RBotM JULY 2020 - Theme month - Retromod! Entries now open!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jamiedyer

Gold Trader
MacRetro Rider
Feedback
View
Welcome to RBotM July 2020!
This month is theme month and a very exciting theme we have this month...….Retromod!
Basically an old frame with modern(ish) components. There is certainly lots of them about, some tasteful some, well, best not mentioned, but as they say one mans tripe is another mans caviar and all that.
With that being said I am sure there is a lot of these builds out there whether they are fancy frames with later record 11 speed components type thing or an old frame modernised to make it more reliable to commute on, we know they are out there and they often share a real individuality that you don't see with other builds. So with that get in the shed and show us what you have, or raid the parts box and get that ancient frame out the loft and get building.
I'm looking for that 30's BSA frame with Dura Ace DI2 set up for commuting :)

Usual rules apply, 1 entry per member, two photos, brief description of one or two sentences, and a link to a build page, readers rides and/or further information.

A big shout out to Peachy for this theme and the gentle nudge ;)

Jamie

Jamiedyer":1nb3r6lc said:
A big shout out to Peachy for this theme and the gentle nudge ;)

I best step up then...... :cool:

My 1981 Claud Butler Colstar with early 90's Shimano 105.

Last of the Holdsworthy Claud racers before the range all became touring frame..viewtopic.php?f=23&t=409971&p=3016162#p3016162

I've enjoyed this bike so much these past few weeks, that it might get an upgrade before the month is up! ;)

Which it did....and it only took 7 minuets!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h8pJ8aooIU4

How I found her...

Couldn't resist upgrading again.....out went the complete 105 group, to be replaced by;
DuraAce 7800 shifting levers, brakes, crankset, bottom bracket, front & rear derailleur & 10sp cassette.
DuraAce 7700 36h hubs & QR skewers.
DuraAce 7400 stem & headset
600EX pedals
600AX aero post

And of course a brand new Gold paint job to set it off.

Attachments

• s-l1600.jpg
    s-l1600.jpg
    279.5 KB · Views: 3,851
  • Claud Butler Colstar Dura-Ace (1).jpg
    Claud Butler Colstar Dura-Ace (1).jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 3,329
here goes...
My Rourkie 531 retromod. Finished in cream and winefire red. A mix of 11 speed Record/Super Record group. The wheels are Royce hubs with Velo Orange polished alloy rims. Ritchey classic finishing kit and a red Brooks Swallow. Its a lovely ride!

Attachments

• cream2.jpg
    cream2.jpg
    196.1 KB · Views: 3,809
  • cream1.jpg
    cream1.jpg
    227.2 KB · Views: 3,809
JSH":2dxvy5co said:
here goes...
My Rourkie 531 retromod. Finished in cream and winefire red. A mix of 11 speed Record/Super Record group. The wheels are Royce hubs with Velo Orange polished alloy rims. Ritchey classic finishing kit and a red Brooks Swallow. Its a lovely ride!

Beautiful... is there a build thread?

enc":2mwcayn5 said:
JSH":2mwcayn5 said:
here goes...

Beautiful... is there a build thread?

Sadly not, it was one i didn't record. The frame came as a ratty complete build in bumblebee yellow. My local bike shop took the groupset as a p/x and I gave them £400. I bought a complete bike to get the wheelset and then flipped it - I really wanted the Royce hubs :shock:

The obvious one would be the Arthur Caygil but lets show a 1984 Batavus Professional instead

Attachments

• batavus big ring1.jpg
    batavus big ring1.jpg
    534.8 KB · Views: 3,393
  • batavus big ring2.jpg
    batavus big ring2.jpg
    150.6 KB · Views: 3,393
Nice, did I miss a build thread?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back