Todays purchase

Corblimeyguv

Senior Retro Guru
Feedback
View
Good evening all :)

A very emotional afternoon has been had. I've bought this as part of a package deal from the friend i've been helping to rehome his collection of mainly road bikes.
This belonged to his son, whom sadly passed away around 20 yrs ago. He was a very good friend to me and this very ordinary bike encompasses every good memory I have of him.
It needs a wash, tyres, possibly tubes and the hubs regreasing.
If I can get the exact same tyres to replace these perished examples that would be ideal.

I think it's 92/93 but it's not really that important to me, I now own it and that's all I care about.

If there's anything specific I need to check, as I've never owned a carbon bike before, please feel free to educate me :cool:

As always, thanks.

Attachments

• 20200706_185814.jpg
    20200706_185814.jpg
    992 KB · Views: 911
  • 20200706_185846.jpg
    20200706_185846.jpg
    709.1 KB · Views: 911
Wow! That's a real beauty and one of the rarer colour Epics.
A great looking setup on a really nice riding frame, enjoy.
Sad about your friend but at least you will still share some nice rides while thinking of him.

Jamie

Very nice!

Just check around the lugs for anything that shouldnt obviously be there

Not too sure about the post though but I'm sure someone will be along to advise if it ok to shim like that

Re:

That's Epic!!

Sorry :LOL:, it is lovely though, classic looks with modern materials (I own a mid 90's Giant CFR with similar construction). As above, check around the lugs for any signs of impending separation, but I think they were pretty solidly built and inspected, so I don't think you'll have any issues.

Re:

Hi Ash
The front tyre looks like this one.
It looks unworn, I'll take it off the rim tomorrow and check it's not damaged or perished.
It's still inflated so it can't be too bad.

Regards
Tony

Attachments

• t2.jpg
    t2.jpg
    72.1 KB · Views: 789
  • t1.jpg
    t1.jpg
    109.9 KB · Views: 789
Re:

Hi Tony :)

It has the green bit on both sides of the tyre and it's so deteriorated I can't make out anything on the sidewalls. I've purchased a pair of Schwalbe tyres for the time being because I want to try and get it up and running.
I'm finding little issues that are mostly due to my lack of knowledge of road bikes plus 20 years of storage and no maintainance. Plus I have very few spares as i've only got MTB's in my fleet.
I will get it usable in the next week or two, hopefully.

Re the shimmed seatpost - didn't someone (Thomson?) Make like a 25mm Ti poast with shims for every sized tube? You ordered your post and shim, so based on that, I assume a shimmed post is fine.

Re:

The shimmed post has been there since it was new I believe.
In 1995 the original owner participated in a charity ride. The route was Lands End to John O'Groats and their goal was 100 miles a day so if there was any weakness it would've showed itself during that period, one would've thought. It will only be used sparingly whilst i'm the custodian so it should be ok.

Re:

The front is a vittoria freedom kevlar and the rear is a continental.
I was given some tyres by his Dad yesterday so that's how I found out.
I've stripped and regreased the hubs, stripped and cleaned the handlebars and am awaiting the replacement brifters, hopefully arriving today :)

Back