Help Please! Witcomb frame identification

Flashspix

Dirt Disciple
Hi, Im looking to bring back this Witcomb as close as i possibly can to it's former glory.
I picked up the frame a couple of years ago and have had other projects and pesky work keeping me from getting stuck in.

It appears to have nervex lugs throughout.

The paint looks to be the original black, the decals are faded or missing but still just enough detail on show to provide tantalising clues.

Seat Post : Imprint of 531 decal just below seatpost
Remnants of possibly the shop sticker just below the 531 decal
Has World Champion Banding above and below what looks like a crest type of decal.
Downtube : There appears to be a decal just before the W of the big white Witcomb lettering on the
downtube both sides.
Toptube : can't tell what the decal was here appears to have been smoothed away

The serial number appears to be 1120875, I'm guessing this dates the bike to 1975?
The way the seat stays attach to the seatpost is pretty cool.

Have trawled the net and have seen one or 2 bikes with similar banding and decal positioning, the images I checked didnt have the model info, if anyone can shed light it would be much appreciated.

Would love to see stories and images from other Witcomb owners, I have been genuinely excited at starting this project for a while now.

Thank You

Paul
p3924329093-4.jpg

p3924329097-4.jpg

p3924329203-4.jpg

p3924329204-4.jpg

p3924329096-5.jpg

I'd place that frame in the mid-late 1950s based on the general shape, the frame fittings and the Nervex lugs. I don't think it's as late as 1975.

Do you know for sure it's a Witcomb? Only reason I question it is because there are three examples on the classiclightweights Witcomb page and none of them have that nice curved spearpoint detail on the top of the stays like yours has. I think it might be something else.

See here:

http://www.classiclightweights.co.uk/bu ... tcomb.html

Jonny69":1gpext56 said:
I'd place that frame in the mid-late 1950s based on the general shape, the frame fittings and the Nervex lugs. I don't think it's as late as 1975.

Do you know for sure it's a Witcomb? Only reason I question it is because there are three examples on the classiclightweights Witcomb page and none of them have that nice curved spearpoint detail on the top of the stays like yours has. I think it might be something else.

See here:

http://www.classiclightweights.co.uk/bu ... tcomb.html

Reminds me of a Viking Severn Valley. I'm sure the one I had BITD as a lad had that style of stay top and Nervex Pro lugs.

Anyone considered Rotrax? they had a very similar finish to the tops of the stays - serial number doesnt fit with them though

Jonny69":2avsvn49 said:

I have a Witcomb that I think has a similar seat stay top. Will try to dig out a picture.

Hi and the replies have been enlightening, nowt simple about identifying vintage bikes even with a serial number :)

I have restored several Carlton's and many other british road bikes over the years and several of these have had a semi wrap over seat stay fixing, but the difference in quality is a whole different level with the workmanship of the "alleged" Witcomb much finer than any of the Carlton's, Raleighs, EG Bates, Dawes, Vikings and British Eagle bikes Ive had in my possession, the paint and whats left of the decals look original, this frame feels lighter than the Raleigh 501 frame I built back up to a 12 speed earlier this month, this frame was in turn a whole 2.2kg lighter than the Carlton pro-am 531 frame I use as my daily ride.

I am very happy to spend a bit more time sleuthing to make sure this lovely frame isn't mis identified.

Having nosed thru Lightweight Classics: "Geoff Carter's 1958 Witcomb frame number 17858 (5 digits and another frame from the 60's identified with a 6 digit serial, whereas the serial no of mine is 7 or maybe 6 digits as the 1st 1 is a lot larger than the rest of the serial stamp?

Sleuthing continues. hoping Jingle Jangle has a decent pic :)

Thanks for the info everyone, got me motivated to dig deeper :)

Back