Newbie Intro

I would start a thread in the readers rides section for this lovely Raleigh as otherwise it will end up being swallowed up in the general section.
If you start one I can always merge these posts across to it. :)

Jamie

Hi and welcome and all that

Heres my similar age Competition 12 with the 'tricolour' 600 parts fitted.

Shimano 'won' because of the indexing and the later ramped cassettes. Suntour made a big error in forgetting to renew their derailleur patents too which Shimano leaped upon and the rest is history.

file.php

Nice bike, Cheese. Even if it is a Raleigh. ;)

I do wish another (British?) Suntour would emerge in the market to shake things up a bit. Surely there is a space for design-led, well-engineered components? Hummingbird are perhaps the closest to what I'm thinking.
(Maybe this is a separate topic, rather than hogging collective admiration of the Raleigh...)

Re:

Hi Jamie,

Thanks for the comment, I’ll start a new thread on readers rides, if you can copy over that would be great.

Re:

Hi Fromage,

I saw yours on here before I bought mine, looks in nice condition too.

As much as I like the idea of restoring this as it has such nice paint, it is going to be my only road bike for now, and as such will get used and the 600 group I think matches the frame nicely, plus the road ace of the time would have had 600ax, so it’s not too much of a departure, other than being a bit later than the frame and having the STI’s.

Back