Holdsworth Frame Numbers

guybagnall":1n9gpstk said:
Hi - This is not quite the right thread - look under Eclipse - but mine is 060855. I am only guessing but that might mean 85/5 is May -85.

I had not heard about Holdsworth making the frames, people often quote Orbit as the frame-maker. By the 80s there was the Holdsworth shop in Putney - that made Roy Thame bikes, and there was Holdsworthy - you might ask Greg which one he used.

Is your bike complete - a photo would be good - they often seem to have come with Campag parts?

I would guess your numbering is a different 6-figure code say may be 1984, but that's just a guess.
That number, 060855, without any pictures of the frame looks like a typical Holdsworth 6 Digit number. it is purely sequential and if built by Holdsworth would be ~mid 1984. There is no build date in bedded in the number and only a few frames built in 85 as they had been taken over by Marlboro by then. Holdsworth used this system for CB and other people such as DBS and Harding etc. Typically this would be placed on the drive side BB just above the spindle center line.

Re: Eclipse / Holdsworth frame number

This is the frame number on my Eclipse

Attachments

• IMG_2701_copy_816x612.jpg
    IMG_2701_copy_816x612.jpg
    70.2 KB · Views: 454
Hi - As far as I can see from Dave's wondrous researches that would not be a Holdsworth number, but he's the man.

It seems Orbit has gone through many hands and have no records of their 80s work, but try leaving a note on the Eclipse thread and you may get a response from us few Eclipse owners - please join us (2!) in the Eclipse massive!
The other name mentioned re frames for Eclipse was Jeremy Torr (again see the Eclipse thread) but your number doesn't seem to match his (begin TJ).
If you don't have decals luck I got a set from Gil at http://www.facebook.com/retrodecals - he was brilliant and for my silver frame made specially a black set with white edgings.
One thing to check is if your bike has 'eclipse' at the top of the rear forks, that was an Orbit trademark (occasionally!).
If you would care to share the Greg contact we could get all the Eclipse Massive info direct from the horse's mouth?

guybagnall":26g4pvlf said:
Hi Dave - re-attached here. Regards

Isn’t that a Claud Butler Majestic sprayed silver?

I had it from new, OE Eclipse from Bike UK, the cavernous undercroft behind and below the Strand - could it be it was made up to a CB Majestic design, but for Greg Oxenham, the Eclipse guy?

Yes, I was going to suggest looking for similar model on the history site. Do you have a picture of the number and its location?

Back