Reynolds frame weight confusion

Dushan Ivekich

Devout Dirtbag
I have read the other older thread but I'm still confused- according to the Reynolds table a 531 SL frame is 1995gm (what size would they take that weight from?), presumably that is bare unpainted.

My Woodrup 531 SL 57cm weighed today, including paint, both headset cups, seat post binder and a couple of bottle holder screws came in at 1840gm dead on. Even if you only take into account 100gm for all that extra, then it's still lighter than 753 T according to their own table, in fact it would bring it almost dead on to 753 T at 1740 :?

What is even more bizarre is the forks are quite heavy at 800gm painted, plus crown race.

I contacted Woodrup but it's from a time when their records are lost, all I know is it's possibly early 85 or 86 and Steve Woodrup built it.

531-tubes.jpg

Your table shows the weights of the bare tubes before they are cut, mitred and brazed/soldered into lugs and dropouts or have any bottle bosses, cable stops etc added.
The tube lengths allow for a range of sizes/geometries to be cut from the same set.

Total tube weight does not equal frame weight.

What size of frame? How much did the tube off-cuts weigh?
What do you hope to establish here? That the table is inaccurate, your frame is made of something other than what appears on the label, or someone's scales need re-calibrating?

As Nik Blackhurst would say, perhaps it has been painted in a very light colour.

Re:

Here’s Reynolds cycle tubing from their 1985 catalogue. 531 Pro has superceded 531 SL.

This scan for 531 Pro sets out typical built frame and forks, ie including bottom bracket shell, all lugs, dropouts, etc. Helpfully suggests an average weight for these frame components on top of the tubeset, at about .79 kgs. I have seen 2 weights provided in different Reynolds documents for 531 Pro for the tubeset, 1.7kg and 1.9kg so seems editing inconsistency not just the preserve of the Guardian.

Attachments

• Reynolds 1985.jpg
    Reynolds 1985.jpg
    435.5 KB · Views: 531
  • 1985 531 Pro.jpg
    1985 531 Pro.jpg
    647.8 KB · Views: 530
Re: Re:

Chat Noir":ml551ane said:
Here’s Reynolds cycle tubing from their 1985 catalogue. 531 Pro has superceded 531 SL.

This scan for 531 Pro sets out typical built frame and forks, ie including bottom bracket shell, all lugs, dropouts, etc. Helpfully suggests an average weight for these frame components on top of the tubeset, at about .79 kgs. I have seen 2 weights provided in different Reynolds documents for 531 Pro for the tubeset, 1.7kg and 1.9kg so seems editing inconsistency not just the preserve of the Guardian.

Many thanks that is spot on, and a very helpful reply cheers!

Back